IC Big muff

• Members

Fairly common.

I've seen them go for $60 - $150. Huge variance based on current market conditions, wear and tear on the box, and other factors.

Why? Do you have one to sell or are you looking for one?

• Members

Ah.

Cool.

Yeah, they're not all that rare. They were highly shunned for a while, but recently have been catching on a bit more. I like them, personally. I've got a Euthymia ICBM fuzz, which is a clone of the IC Big Muff.

Shouldn't be too hard to fix. Make sure the chip is good and there aren't any problems with the wiring on the tone-bypass switch. When I was fixing one a while back there were also about 6 or 7 cold solder joints that needed reheating and a dab of fresh solder. Look closely at the solder connections and see if there are any parts hanging loose in the solder.

But the chip and the tone-bypass switch seem to be the two main culprits. The tone-bypass switch can be carefully taken apart and cleaned up so the contacts aren't corroded.

And while you're in there you may even want to true bypass that tone sucker...

• Members
Originally posted by Fuzz Explosion

A friend gave me one to fix. I'd never seen one before and I keep seeing things that led me to believe they are ultra rare. I was just curious, thanks!

Yeah, I also had this impression and paid $100 for one in average cosmetic condition. Checked ebay the next week and there were like 3 others :mad: (never labelled as IC Muffs, but you could tell from the circuit board shot). The ICBM page at Euthymia was cheifly to blame, but also the Muff wiring pdf at www.singlecoil.com claimed they were rare, and I aslo remember reading somewhere that they were only made for one year ('78).

:evil::D:wave:

Archived