Suhr BPSSC - Anyone try?

• Members

Anyone have any experience with Suhr back plate silent single coil system ($259)? Seems to be made only for Strats.

Are its results similar to having noiseless or HB PUPS? That's what the reviews say.

What happens in notch positions 2 and 4 if the middle PUP is RWRP?

Can electronics be modified to be used in a Tele?

Any info appreciated.

• Members

I'm in the process of shielding a stratocaster right now. If this doesn't solve my problem, then the BPSSC system may come into play. If you use the BPSSC on a strat you have to replace the middle pickup with a normally wound (not reverse wound) pickup.

The shielding method I am using can be found here:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

Suhr recommends shielding along with the BPSSC system. I'm trying the cheaper route first. :cool:

• Members

I just got a suhr with the standard SSC system (not the backplate version) and it is really neat.

I have no idea how it works, but it seems to do something that sends a hum with reverse polarity through your signal, so it cancels the hum of your single coils. If that's correct, you'd hear the hum on the 2/4 positions if you had a reverse polarity middle pickup. That said, I really have no idea how it works.

It's not like a humbucker or noiseless system in that it doesn't change the tone of the pickups. I have another suhr with the same pickups, no SSC, and the pickups sound the same. Fender's Noiseless pickups and humbuckers sound, feel, and respond different from single coils.

• Members

Originally posted by MrMunky

It's not like a humbucker or noiseless system in that it doesn't change the tone of the pickups. I have another suhr with the same pickups, no SSC, and the pickups sound the same. Fender's Noiseless pickups and humbuckers sound, feel, and respond different from single coils.

I have the SSCBP, and it really does work well, there is a VERY, VERY SLIGHT tonal difference, so slight that if I left the room for a moment and someone swithced it off the only thing I would prolly notice is the hum. Considering how much work I do in front of a computer screen, it's totally worth it. Way better than any noiseless pups I've tried, even Kinmans.

Archived