OT: JJ El34 or E34l is there really a difference?

Redfox777

• Members

+1 for headroom. The E34Ls are a 30watt tube vs. a standered 25 watt EL34. There is a difference between the JJE34L and the GT E34LS's too. The Plate assembly is different and "theres a heat sink type assembly" in the GT so it handles hotter bias settings better, I really like this tube.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I have been curious about the EH EL34s. I have read good things about them.

The JJs I don't really dig, though. I have only tried them in single channel amps that don't have a lot of gain to begin with, though.

I have to honestly say that the EH tubes sound great when you get good ones..My tech for many years now has found as much as a 40% difference in one tube to the next..I'm not a tech but I am a tone purist.And that works out to pretty much stock bias settings on my Marshalls..The EH's in the Marshall sound very good..Lower noise and smoother gain..The tone controls almost seem active now..I had a set of JJ's in a Laney V-30? and they worked just fine..On the other side we retubed my Deluxe with Some Elite Groove 6V6's and used Gooves in the Vibroking and Tremolux only using EH pre"s and all is well...Keith

Archived