Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner + Godlyke Adapter issues...

Biz Markie

• Members

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up one of those new Planet Waves chromatic tuners and a Godlyke power supply only to find out that the PW tuner doesn't seem to like the Godlyke. The PW is supposedly true bypassed, but when powering it from the Godlyke and using the "silent" output I get "digital noise" coming through the amp whenever I hit a string to tune. I tried using the PW with a battery and it works fine w/o the noises. Now I'm trying to figure out if my tuner is defective, or if it's inherent in the tuners design to not like a switch power supply. I emailed PWs and they told me to send it back and they'd send me another, but this seems like it could be a waste of time if it's a design issue. Does anyone have a PW tuner and a Godlyke adapter that they could test out together and see if there's any issue?? Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Biz Markie

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up one of those new Planet Waves chromatic tuners and a Godlyke power supply only to find out that the PW tuner doesn't seem to like the Godlyke. The PW is supposedly true bypassed, but when powering it from the Godlyke and using the "silent" output I get "digital noise" coming through the amp whenever I hit a string to tune. I tried using the PW with a battery and it works fine w/o the noises. Now I'm trying to figure out if my tuner is defective, or if it's inherent in the tuners design to not like a switch power supply. I emailed PWs and they told me to send it back and they'd send me another, but this seems like it could be a waste of time if it's a design issue. Does anyone have a PW tuner and a Godlyke adapter that they could test out together and see if there's any issue?? Thanks!

What else are you powering from the Godlyke supply at the same time?

• Members

Originally posted by alteredsounds

What else are you powering from the Godlyke supply at the same time?

I was thinking that as well...could it be other pedals affecting the PW tuner...I'll have to try powering the tuner by itself then try adding other pedals until I get a noise. I'll report back. Thanks for the replies!

• Members

Originally posted by Biz Markie

Hey Guys,

The same thing happened to me. I returned the piece of junk immediately. There seems to be some defective units that went out imo. Debating whether or not to try another one. It's advertised as being fine operating with batteries or a 9v supply(like my Brick) and if it doesn't work both ways then there is a design problem.

• Members

Hey guys, I just checked out the PW tuner connected to the Godlyke power supply by itself and there's no noise...

So this got me thinking...if the tuner is fine by itself, but there's noise when other pedals are powered from the Godlyke with it, then maybe the tuner is sending out digital noise through its power supply connection. This dirty power may not be filtered out by one or more of the other pedals I have daisy chained with it, hence it finds its way into my signal chain. Next I'll try adding other pedals and see if I can determine the culprit(s).

Archived