OT: New amp score!

• Members

Went to Rondo's last night & saw this:

PEAVEY30.jpg

Got it for $319 (floor special) and they threw in a Peavey footswitch. Got it home, swapped the stock speaker for a V30, saw it had EH 12AX7s & Sovtek EL84s in it. Gonna replace the Sovteks with JJs but leaving the EHs in. Man this thing is friggin' LOUD! Sings sweetly with the V30 in her.

PEAVEY30BACK.jpg

Got a graduation BBQ tomorrow and this will fill the bill nicely.

A very nice amp for the money! :D

• Members

That's a great score for $319! I just got a C30 a couple months ago... I paid a little more for it cause of the blue suede covering though.

It came with JJ 12AX7s and Sovtec EL84s.

I put an Eminence Governor in it..... which was probably dumb cause of the allready over-abundant mid-range these amps have..... But it does sound great!!

753638325_m.jpg

I really love this amp for blues and R&B stuff.. but it doesn't really get a good rock or classic rock tone.

It's also really fun just to look at!

• Members

I had the really small Classic series amp in college. It sounded great. Probably should have kept it.

I'm not a fan of peavey as a rule, but I like the classic series, and the Phaser built into my buddy's 70's peavey amp is the best I've ever heard.

• Members

I love my classic 30...great amp. I found mine used at a local guitar shop for $200. I asked the sales guy if he could go lower on the price, even though i knew 200 was a steal...he came back a few minute later and said "how's $140 sound?" After i swallowed my vomit i calmly said, "that sounds pretty good, i'll take it"

I should've put a vintage 30 and new tubes in it straight away...i decided to wait...and am still waiting. man i really need to do that.

• Members

I have a Classic 50 4x10 that is still stock (2005 model), it has EH preamp tubes and the Sovtek power amp tubes, I've been wanting to change the power amp tubes, how do the JJs compare?

• Members
Originally posted by delorean

do you own a pair of ears?

yea.. and ive owned the 5150 too.. so dont even go there!

Tho I havent heard the JX or whatever it is or the XXX Id be safe in saying those amps arent worth half what they are going for. I have very close family friends who work high up at the biloxi shops and they say the same thing every time i see them.. "you dont own any peavey gear right? ok good" quanity not quality is not my idea of 'good tone'..

ill stick with my bruno custom head and orange 2x12 thanks :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by AnalogJunkie

yea.. and ive owned the 5150 too.. so dont even go there!

Tho I havent heard the JX or whatever it is or the XXX Id be safe in saying those amps arent worth half what they are going for. I have very close family friends who work high up at the biloxi shops and they say the same thing every time i see them.. "you dont own any peavey gear right? ok good" quanity not quality is not my idea of 'good tone'..

ill stick with my bruno custom head and orange 2x12 thanks
:thu:

XXX and JX and the rest suck balls. you'll get no argument from me on that. however, here are just a few of the awesome amps Peavey has made over the years:

Peavey-Mace.jpg

im_mics.gif

b_9394030676623_1.jpg

DSC_9157.jpg

PeaveyKB60.jpg

remember: even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Members
Originally posted by themeanreds

Peavey Rockmaster (Amp head, not rack preamp) =
:thu:

The Roadmaster (Like the above but with waaaaay too much power) and Butcher are also fine loud-ass amps. And there is the Bravo, a fantastic little 15-watt tube killer.

aye, i forgot the Butcher! m/

• Members

Originally posted by downtown

Nice amp; I have one just like it. I retubed with JJ's and enjoy the improvement but still have the stock speaker. Did the V30 make a big difference?

Huge difference! The stock speaker sounded kinda flat at loud volumes, the V30 just shines the louder you play it.

Archived