Big Muff Mods?

• Members

Anyone know if any mods can be done to Big Muffs ... I don't own one but I 'm considering buying one. It would be nice to be able to get a bit more out of the old wooly tone knob ... what sorts of mods have been done to the stock models in the past and what can be done?

• Members

Would be nice if there were more DIY mods around for the BMP. I'd love one that could expand the tone section to bass/mid/treble knobs instead of just the tone knob. That's what I was hoping the Metal Muff was, but no such luck...

• Members

Ooooh I like this!

Don't forget that the Vox Suppa Tone Bender Project is very similar to

the Big Muff. Its basically the same circuit with a different form of

distortion clipping. So, in a way, the Suppa Tone Bender is a mod to the

Big Muff Pi.

I wonder if it would be possible to stick a toggle switch ona modded BM to go from a Tone Bender vibe to BM? :cool:

• Members

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/linux.html

This web site allows a free download of a "tone stack calculator" that allows you to substitute components in the Big Muff tone stack and see the pedal's frequency response as a result. I used it to find the appropriate value to change out of my Green Russian Big Muff so it had flatter midrange response. It was a one capacitor modification, now my BM has a more usable sound. I think you can actually have a mid-hump with the tone control at noon if you want!

• Members

It depends on which model you have because the component values in the tone stack in your pedal might be different from the ones in mine. You're going to need a schematic for your pedal and then actually find the components on the circuit board. The process of actually finding the right capacitor (they aren't marked well, I have the green russian version) took a while, as I had to follow the wires from the tone pot to the board and then follow the trace on the board to the capacitor. It was a pain in the butt but worth it.

• Members
Originally posted by KRAA!!

It depends on which model you have because the component values in the tone stack in your pedal might be different from the ones in mine. You're going to need a schematic for your pedal and then actually find the components on the circuit board. The process of actually finding the right capacitor (they aren't marked well, I have the green russian version) took a while, as I had to follow the wires from the tone pot to the board and then follow the trace on the board to the capacitor. It was a pain in the butt but worth it.

Since your selling it to me it can't have been that great.:D

Archived