Pickup swap

squareking

• Members

I'm looking to upgrade the pickups in my Agile 2800DLX Paul copy. They sound great, but I'm always looking for something better. I've been looking at GFS pickups and have really only heard good things about 'em. Anyone have experience w/ GFS? I'm after those classic 'bucker tones - Allman Brothers, a little ZZ Top, Pagey tones on the bridge, and thick but clear jazzy tones on the neck. But especially Allman Bros - if you've seen the Beacon Theatre DVD, those are the tones I'm after.

• Members

My favorite for Les Pauls is the SD Seth Lover. But I'd like to try the previously mentioned Alnico Pro II's as well.

Both of these pickups contain Alnico II which is warmer and lower output than Alnico V. Very complex. Mmm mmm good.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

My favorite for Les Pauls is the SD Seth Lover. But I'd like to try the previously mentioned Alnico Pro II's as well.

Both of these pickups contain Alnico II which is warmer and lower output than Alnico V. Very complex. Mmm mmm good.

taco

Don't let lower output scare you though, my APII has better sustain then my Duncan Distortion!

• Members

Id say give the GFS a try they sem to pretty nice , i believe they offer some with alnico pups and a lot of people in the electric guitar forum seem to love them in the their Agiles. worst case you are out like what? $50 bucks for a pair of alnico buckers?

• Members
Originally posted by usa83strat

pearly gates ( what the fender USA HSS strats use)

Not exactly ;) Fender uses the Pearly Gates Plus, which is the same wind but with an Alnico 5 for a little more bass and a little less mids. Good call though, I forgot about it's Strat versatility.

• Members
Originally posted by usa83strat

Jimihalen,

Check the spam thread here in HCFX, someone just dropped a bunch of SD pup there at GFS prices, including Darkside's suggestion of the pearly gates ( what the fender USA HSS strats use)

Or, you could buy my neck/bridge set of white Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II's! :thu:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i just ordered the blowout PAF set from GFS... 30 bucks a set tyo go into my hollow body (phat cats are coming out) i'm hoping for great things, given their reputation.

i'll be giving up a full review as soon as i get them in there.

edit: more on topic, i have a duncan JB in the bridge and a duncan 59 in the neck of my paul... it's a great combo. there are better pickups out there, but seeing as how i paid less than 100 for them w/gold covers to match my hardware, it would be hard to beat for me... i love the JB

• Members

Originally posted by lostandfoundpdx

i just ordered the blowout PAF set from GFS... 30 bucks a set tyo go into my hollow body (phat cats are coming out) i'm hoping for great things, given their reputation.

i'll be giving up a full review as soon as i get them in there.

edit: more on topic, i have a duncan JB in the bridge and a duncan 59 in the neck of my paul... it's a great combo. there are better pickups out there, but seeing as how i paid less than 100 for them w/gold covers to match my hardware, it would be hard to beat for me... i love the JB

cool!! let me know how it goes

Archived