vocal pedal boards

• Members

The plan is, after a couple more guitar board purchases, to build a small vocal board.

I figure all i really need is some sort of drive/distorsion, a delay and an eq.

What have people got on vocal boards they've made? What works well with vocals and what should i aviod?

• Members

be careful with what you put on your vocal board. keep in mind you have a sound tech live and in the studio.

for example you WILL NEED a compressor of course for your voice. but you maybe don't want it on your monitor, because the more compressed the easier it will give you feedback noise.. so maybe don't use that on your floor board.

for dirt high gain is killer. sounds great on a record but with monitor boxes,.. forget it. what i liked was for example the daddy-o, mxr micro amp fully clockwise, things like that...

chorus can sound interesting.

delay is always a nice feature. can feedback too,... but it is more controllable.

when i used the fish and chips on vocals i didn't find it exciting. but i bet the ibanez lo-fi lf7 sounds amazing like a megaphone or telephone voice!!

• Members

I think you'll need a pre-amp before anything else.

I've tried pluging the mic into a fuzz once at a rehearsal (without a preamp) and - yes - there was feedback/noise all over the place.

Once you get the signals matched things will work out, I guess.

• Members

I have one of those digitech vocal effects boards w/ the built in expression pedal. Most of the presets are pretty cheesy, but some of the reverbs, and delays, and the preamp sounded good. Then one of the switches broke, so now I can only scroll down, not up. A preamp, and some delay/reverb is good, but most other effects end up sounding kind of silly on vocals. In my opinion anyway.

• Members

maybe instead of drive i could try an a/b box swapping between the main mic and the spy mic?

If i put a decent gate on the spy mic side i might be able to stop most of the feedback. Even if it still feeds back it's only used on the ocaisonal line so it would easilly be swapped in and out.

Any specific delays that people have tried and liked?

Archived