whammy 1 vs new whammy

• Members

They are worth that much as collectors items. The first edition had a certain sound the reissues were never able to reproduce exactly, and they became famous since people like the Edge, Tom Morello, Joe Satriani and others used them.

So you have a limited edition effect that was used by lots of famous people. Its not going to go down in value. But its worth more as a collectors item than it is for the sound, just like any other item once it gets to collectible status.

You can get the same sound for much less if you get a Digitech IPS-33B or DHP-33 processor. They do the Whammy I sound, plus intelligent harmonies, arpeggiations, choruses, delays, etc. Expect to pay about $250-300 for one of these.

• Members

Originally posted by jeverist

They are worth that much as collectors items. The first edition had a certain sound the reissues were never able to reproduce exactly, and they became famous since people like the Edge, Tom Morello, Joe Satriani and others used them.

So you have a limited edition effect that was used by lots of famous people. Its not going to go down in value. But its worth more as a collectors item than it is for the sound, just like any other item once it gets to collectible status.

You can get the same sound for much less if you get a Digitech IPS-33B or DHP-33 processor. They do the Whammy I sound, plus intelligent harmonies, arpeggiations, choruses, delays, etc. Expect to pay about $250-300 for one of these.

I was thinking it was more a collectors item but wasnt sure..thanks

• Members

I've had them all.
The Whammy 1 Is the most Analog sounding. Plus it also has by far the best Detune setting.
The Detune really does sound leslie like...were the Whammy 4s Detune sounds like Digital Crap chorus.
The Whammy 1 grabs(tracks) your notes better. Yes the Black Whammy 2 is good also...way better than the xp100 and Whammy 4...but still not as good as a Whammy 1. I love that you can change the presets on the Whammy 2 with your feet...which is nice..but it also has a line level volume control that controls you guitar sound even when the whammy is off. I didn't like that at all... They all suck tone...but the Whammy 4 sucks the most.
I've seen photos that you can mod the Whammy 1 for TB...but not the others.
Is it worth $500? Depends on how much you use a Whammy and how much cash you got to spend! For your avarage person...I'd say not.

• Members

This question comes up about every 2 months.

To give a very quick answer, if you can afford it, yes the WH-1 is worth the extra money.

If you've been using a WH-1 for a while, you won't want to go back to a WH-4, it will sound very processed and sterile in comparison.

On the other hand, if you've never used one before and budget is a factor then the WH-4 (or II) would probably do the job/satisfy you just as well.

Archived