EHX DMM vs Ibanez AD9RI

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

I have recently tested and liked a lot the ibanez ad9RI. Lacking experience with the DMM i was wondering how these two pedals compare soundwise.

AD9:

1. Small size

2. Cheaper (150$) UK

3. 9V can be daisy chained

4. Seems good quality and made in japan.

DMM:

1. Huge size

2. Requires 24V own adaptor

3. 550ms time

4. Modulation

5. More expensive at 230$ (UK)

Any ideas?

• Members

I weighed the same options and went with the AD-9. I like the smaller size and the power being 9V so I can use my power supply safely.

The modulated repeats do sound cool but I have to say the AD-9 is by far one of my favorite pedals I own.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

The DMM is the better sounding of the two, for sure. But if size and 9V are important to you and you don't need the long delay times (I do), you'll dig the AD9.

So even for 0-300ms tones the DMM is better sounding?

• Members

DMM has much more clarity.

The AD9 and most Japanese analog delays are tuned for less noise, they chop off a lot of high end to reduce noise. So they are very warm and deep sounding but repeats of very high notes may be a little weak. The old AD9 is very similar to the old Boss DM-2 and DM-3 pedals. The EH has more high end and a little more white noise. But they both have filters that stop the noise when you stop playing. the new Ibanez AD9 uses cheap chips and does not sound as good as the original AD9, new Maxon ad9, or DM2/DM3.

• Members

Originally posted by analogmike

DMM has much more clarity.

The AD9 and most Japanese analog delays are tuned for less noise, they chop off a lot of high end to reduce noise. So they are very warm and deep sounding but repeats of very high notes may be a little weak. The old AD9 is very similar to the old Boss DM-2 and DM-3 pedals. The EH has more high end and a little more white noise. But they both have filters that stop the noise when you stop playing. the new Ibanez AD9 uses cheap chips and does not sound as good as the original AD9, new Maxon ad9, or DM2/DM3.

Cheers mike!

I thought that the AD9RI has the same chinese new gen BBD chips as the AD999 by maxon, and the DMM.

So essentially the DMM is the better pedal clearly and the only drawback is 24v/size?

In a nutshell the AD9RI is not a good solution?

• Members

HI,

The Ibanez AD9 has the chinese chip, I think the AD999 has them too. The DMM still uses NOS Japanese high voltage chips (four of them).

Here's an article from Legendary Tones about the Ibanez and Maxon AD9s

Cheers Mike, great article. I know the Maxon AD9 uses MIJ NOS chips whereas the ad999 and ad9RI use MIC BBD.

The DMM will have the warmth and sweetness of the AD9RI but added features and less treble roll-off? And noisewise the same i hope.

• Members

bump and new question

with respect to noise and definition of the repeats... how does the DMM fare against the Ad9? I read some DMM reviews mentioning insufficient clarity on the repeats of the DMM and noise.

Furthermore, which of the two would work well with overdriven tones?

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

That's horse{censored}.

(If you're a clarity fiend, you shouldn't be looking at analog delays anyway, but the DMM is not muddy.)

Fair point man, i am not a clarity fiend, i just want to avoid absolute muddiness.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

bump and new question

with respect to noise and definition of the repeats... how does the DMM fare against the Ad9? I read some DMM reviews mentioning insufficient clarity on the repeats of the DMM and noise.

Furthermore, which of the two would work well with overdriven tones?

Look above in my early post about noise and clarity.

• Members

Look above in my early post about noise and clarity.

Mike the DMM will have more clarity but it will still be analog-warm right?

With respect to noise and filtering even the new versions of the DMM with the 4x BBD chips and TB will be more noisy than the AD9RI?

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

Mike the DMM will have more clarity but it will still be analog-warm right?

With respect to noise and filtering even the new versions of the DMM with the 4x BBD chips and TB will be more noisy than the AD9RI?

Definately. A DMM that is set up and tuned properly will have good clarity but still be nice and warm and delicious. The only analog delays that beat it cost twice as much. Mine is an early RI that I got from Howard Davis and it is not noisy at all.

• Members

Cheers Mike.

I hope that the DMM is reliable and doesnt require modding with trimpots and osciloscopes every now and then. I dont have the luxury to deal with Davis :(.

Do you know how ot make sure i get a TB pedal?

Archived