Speaker ohms - help!

• Members

I have a Peavey Classic 50w 2X12" amp.

Each of the two 12" speakers is labeled as 8ohms.

There are two speaker jacks on the amp. One says 8ohms and the other says 16ohms.

Which one is proper to use with the 2 stock speakers?

What is the purpose of having these two inputs - for extension cabinets?

Any help is much appreciated.

• Members

Can you snap a pic of the connections between the speakers? and the the back panel? I'm not an impedance expert but this is how I understand it...if you wire two 8 ohm speakers in parallel you get 4 ohms...in series 16 ohms....maybe there is another jack that is unlabeled for the 4 ohm output...certainly don't plug into to either 8 or 16 ohm jack until you get it sorted out...

• Members

I checked out the Classic 50 manual online, you wouldn't happen to have two cables coming from the speakers? The manual states "when both jacks are engaged amplifier impedance is 8 ohms..."

Maybe someone who owns a Classic 50 can chime in here....

:confused:

• Members

There is no other jack labeled 4ohms - it's either 16 or 8.
There is only one cable. There are two 8ohm speakers.
The cable from amp splits. One end goes to positive terminal of one speaker and the other goes to negative terminal of other speaker. Then an independent wire connects other positive and negative terminals on two speakers. Series connection = 16ohms?
Since with using 2, 8ohm speakers the options are either 4ohm or 16ohm, I figure the 16ohm jack is proper one.
I almost always use a small single speaker combo in small bars, but am playing a summer fest gig on Sunday where I need a bigger amp, thus this problem. I know, it's stupid, but really appreciate the help of this forum.

Archived