Is a speaker cab terribly important?

• Members

I would say that personally I think speaker cabs are very important - they play a huge role in projecting your sound and the sound of those speakers that are all so important - open backed, closed, sealed, ported whatever - 212 - 412 - 410 - 210 all of these things contribute to your sound ... B box or Slanted cab etc ...

For me a cab is as important as the speakers.

• Members
Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I would say that personally I think speaker cabs are very important - they play a huge role in projecting your sound and the sound of those speakers that are all so important - open backed, closed, sealed, ported whatever - 212 - 412 - 410 - 210 all of these things contribute to your sound ... B box or Slanted cab etc ...

For me a cab is as important as the speakers.

Very well said, indeed

:wave:

• Members

I have two 212 cabinets with the same kind of speakers (Celestion V30s). One is a Carvin 3/4 open back (mostly closed, but a little open) and the other is a Mesa Boogie recto closed back. The Mesa cabinet is larger in all directions and a lot heavier. The Mesa sounds noticably different and, in my opinion, better.

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

okie dokie

but what about the manufacturer?

I mean once one has made the decision regarding the style of cab

The sky is the limit ... look around - you can have custom cabs made for you even; try everything you can and see what fits your requirements. Looking for a cab is the same as buying a car.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

The sky is the limit ... look around - you can have custom cabs made for you even; try everything you can and see what fits your requirements. Looking for a cab is the same as buying a car.

I am much too lazy for all this stuff

I want to go back to Kansas

when all I wanted was an amp that looked big and loud

when I didn't know anything about nothing

when I spent very little time and money thinking about any of this!!!!!!!

• Members

I am much too lazy for all this stuff

I want to go back to Kansas

when all I wanted was an amp that looked big and loud

when I didn't know anything about nothing

when I spent very little time and money thinking about any of this!!!!!!!

Ah you just want somebody to tell you what you need ... ok then - just go buy a JCM 1960A and be done with it.

• Members

VERYVERYVERY important. I have a Marshall 1922 212 T-75 cab that i use for bandpractise and it sounds like a complete joke compared to my bandmates London city 412 cab with much cheaper speakers in it. But the London city doesn't sound half as good as the Mesa oversized 412 cab with V30's i use for gigs and recording. (But it weighs like an elephant too...)

• Members

...For example, why should I plunk out the dough that Marshall asks for?

keeping in mind that Marshall also sells a bunch of MDF cabs in some price ranges. a 'Marshall' cab could mean quite a lot of things, and theres a difference between a 1960a cab, and the match for the AVT series.

have you considered Avatar yet?

• Members

Every single link in your signal chain is important.

The speaker cabinet is Extremely important IMHO.

A simple experiment to illustrate this is to take any amp and A/B it with several Cabs.

The difference can be like night and day, and often is.:D

my 2c

• Members

The most important element in any amp system is the speaker. This is also true for home theater and stereo systems. The cab is also very important- if you run one speaker in a 4x12 it still sounds like a 4x12.

• Members

MDF?

Mitteldichtfaserplatte. duh. :rolleyes:

...or medium density fiberboard to you! :thu:

it's pressed wood bits mixed with glue--denser than particleboard, not as dense as masonite.

open/closed and the material used for the cab are probably the 2 deciding factors of a cab's sound, ability to project and resonate, etc. the material used often determines price--as well as brand name, etc.

Archived