ISP Decimator Help

• Members

about a month ago i was reading about how good the ISP is and that it will kill all feedback and hum and what not. Well i was getting a lot of feedback and stuff so i decided to order me one. Well i can't ever get it to work good. It either doesn't kill anything or it cuts the noise coming from the amp and goes in and out with it. I have tried a lot with it, and it isn't seeming to work good. I am playing a Ltd deluxe ec-1000 into a 6505+ halfstack with a mxr kfk 10 band eq and the isp after the eq in the fx loop. am i doing something wrrong or what? help.

• Members

I don't use one myself, but from what experience I've had, and logic, you can't put the gate after a lot of distortion (e.g. effects loop) for the feedback reducer purpose. With distortion you more or less have to not play at all to get the sound to stop (except for noise). If the noise is bad enough, it won't even be able to tell noise from quiet playing. The gate works off dynamics so something that kills a lot of the dynamics will make the gate less precise, at the least. In front of an amp, the gate won't stop the hiss from the amp but that is not as much as hum, etc. amplified through the amp.

Some distortions with built-in gates sense the dry signal, but then use that to control the distortion output. You can also do that with the loop of a Boss NS-2 or the like.

You're still not going to get a tremendous improvement on feedback, mainly it'll reliably stop the kind where you're standing there and it suddenly starts feeding back for seemingly no reason. If you can get the feed to stop it'll stay stopped but that's not always possible. I tend to prefer the "manual noise gate" of turning off and on a boost pedal, but that's not practical sometimes.

Archived