Technical Question: Phase 90 vs. EVH Phase 90

• Members

I've been evaluating these two pedals and have pretty much decided to go with the standard orange one but I read a review last night that said that the EVH model is true bypass.

My reaction was " uh no, I don't think so" but the Dunlop website does not confirm my suspicions either way. If it is TB I can justify the extra cash. If it is not, I don't think I need to put the cash into Ed's pocket for some cosmetics and some minor tone differences.

Can anyone confirm this one way or another for me?

Thanks guys.

• Members

EVH is not a true bypass, but most say that they can't hear a difference when they put it in their chain. (but you can only hear it for yourself)

EVH is better than the regular phase 90 though, it uses a different type of bypass system, I forget what though, it's in the reviews.

I kinda wanna try out the EVH in my pedalboard (I'm bringing my amp and pedals to make sure the EVH dosn't react weird like phase 90 did)

You really need a looper if you're getting the MXR phase 90 (orange one) because it'll change the tone where even my brother can tell, and he dosn't play an instrument.

MXR phase 90 sounds like a wet dog when in the chain - when it's OFF!

hope I helped.

• Members

Hell yeah that helps quite a bit.

I hate it when pedals 'bleed' when they are off even more than tone suck. I just sold a Rocktron Short Timer because of that despite the fact that the effect had a very nice quality about it.

I do have a footswitchable loop but I usually like to run everything staight in so I maybe I should go for the EVH.

Can anyone elaborate on the difference on the bypass of these two?

Archived