"Indie" Overdrive/Distortion

Steve Howe

• Members
Originally posted by DJLantz444

Yeah, I wasn't kidding.
:(

Edit: Indie isn't even a genre though. It's an awful name. Think of all of the different groups that are called indie.. Sonic Youth, Mogwai, The Concrete Seconds (
:p
), Sleater Kinney, etc.

None of them sound at all alike. It's all about the "style" and being "cool" and different.

Lame if you ask me.
:rolleyes:

:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Coach

+1

:wave:

Are you an indie basher too? Or are you saying that you know I'm not a truck driver that plays springsteen? :p

Edit: I don't totally hate indie. Some of the music is very good and creative. I just hate the whole "scene" of everyone thinking they are better. I suppose jazz is like that too though.. and I love jazz..

• Members

Are you an indie basher too? Or are you saying that you know I'm not a truck driver that plays springsteen?

Edit: I don't totally hate indie. Some of the music is very good and creative. I just hate the whole "scene" of everyone thinking they are better. I suppose jazz is like that too though.. and I love jazz..

you suck at thinking you are better :p

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

you suck at thinking you are better

But I don't. That's the reason that I dislike this indie stuff. I was into at a time, but then I realized that I was ignoring so much other music because of this weird scene thing they have.

• Members

Are you an indie basher too? Or are you saying that you know I'm not a truck driver that plays springsteen?

Indie basher? No. I dig a lot of independant music. I'm just into working man's independant rock and not fashion indie. I don't like a lot of the pretension and I've been to too many after show parties at indie houses to ever take it seriously.

I like music - I don't like the lifestyle.

• Members

I apologize for being better than you. :o

actually the only problem I have with the "indie" scene are the scenester kids...those are the arrogant sumnabitches, I am also not a fan of it being cool to not bath.

Here is a excerpt from an acquaintence of mine's livejournal:

"I haven't taken a shower in like three days and I love the smell of my pits. There's something sweet and earthy about them. Sandalwood and feta. I smell them and I go "mmmm" right afterwards."

this is a girl :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by Coach

Brit pretension?

:thu:

I love indie music ala Bulit To Spill, Modest Mouse, The Rapture, The Shins, Pedro The Lion, Minus The Bear, Bright Eyes, etc but.......

I have to agree that it is not really a genre but a sense of style and coolness. Definitely lame. It's no different than any other self-proclaimed label in that it creates fanboy wannabes. If you can ignore that than there is good music there.

I guess I should contribute to the thread.
:o I always tthought Tubescreamers were more blues-rockish???
I know that Orange amps seem to be the indie popular choice so anything that gets a darker OD maybe?

• Members
Originally posted by inscho

I haven't taken a shower in like three days and I love the smell of my pits. There's something sweet and earthy about them. Sandalwood and feta. I smell them and I go "mmmm" right afterwards.

Ew inscho, you're gross. :p

• Members

Originally posted by DonaldDemon

I always tthought Tubescreamers were more blues-rockish???

I was confused about that too when reading this thread. Indie rock has never been what comes to mind when I think of Tubescreamer. But since my tastes focus around "indie rock" (yes, a dumb label), I've never bothered to even try a tubescreamer thinking it wouldn't be for me - maybe I've been missing out?

My initial thoughts would be overdriven amp, or Rat, or Big Muff. At least based on my skewed view of "indie rock."

• Members

Originally posted by SmelltheGlove

I was confused about that too when reading this thread. Indie rock has never been what comes to mind when I think of Tubescreamer. But since my tastes focus around "indie rock" (yes, a dumb label), I've never bothered to even try a tubescreamer thinking it wouldn't be for me - maybe I've been missing out?

My initial thoughts would be overdriven amp, or Rat, or Big Muff. At least based on my skewed view of "indie rock."

well I dunno if you think of my music as indie or not...but I use tubescreamer-esque pedals for all of my dirt needs....clips in the sig.

• Members
Originally posted by joe_lechuza

check out Forward Russia.

they're pretty special live. good use of live panning too by the guitarist.

is he still using a blueshawk? Great band i've not seen them for a while. I always thought they'd be better the bigger crowds they were playing to. I can't wait to catch them at leeds this year

• Members

Yeah, I wasn't kidding.
:(

Edit: Indie isn't even a genre though. It's an awful name. Think of all of the different groups that are called indie.. Sonic Youth, Mogwai, The Concrete Seconds (
), Sleater Kinney, etc.

None of them sound at all alike. It's all about the "style" and being "cool" and different.

Lame if you ask me.
:rolleyes:

WTF?? Mogwai have no image attatched to them whatsoever, if you've ever mnet the guys you'd realise this, they just look like average joes, and I never realised they were indie...i always thougt it was post rock?

Archived