Boss DS-1 vs. ProCo Rat2

dwerlin

• Members

which pedal do you guys prefer, the Boss DS-1 or the ProCo Rat2? I'm interested in getting a sound somewhat like Nirvana and Green Day (I know Kurt used a DS-1 for some of his stuff...not sure what Billie Joe uses in Green Day).

• Members

Originally posted by hempathy

The rat wins hands down.

I heard kurt used the DS-1 live on the nevermind tour but actually tracked the album with a rat.

Anyway, I have owned and built both. The rat is a much better sounding pedal.

I thought he tracked the later Nirvana albums with a mesa boogie rack mounted preamp. :'/

devi-

• Members

Originally posted by dwerlin

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Regarding the studio vs. live sound, I do actually favor the studio sound of Nevermind to their live sound (and also the sound of Nevermind to their later albums).

I'm sure you know but Nevermind is extremely produced so a neither pedal will sound exactly like Kurt.

• Members

Originally posted by jackpotjewell

I love the guitar sound on In Utero, especially serve the servants, and RFUS. Aggressive distortion where every note kind of punches you in the stomach. Nevermind just seems to smooth and clean. Not my bag I guess.

I'd attribute that more to Steve Albini vs. Bruce Vig than a choice of distortion pedals, but that's just me. Nevermind all sounds like it's chorused somehow - I guess he had his PC working overtime there. I also prefer the sound of In Utero - it pounds.

I'd listen to the double live album On the Muddy Banks of thw Wishkah and see which era you like the best - it's much harder to match a studio sound with gear than a live one.

In general, for his live sound Kurt used DS-1s in the beginning, moved onto the DS-2, then began using a Sansamp to drive his head.

What type of amp are you using, by the way?

• Members

To further confuse matters I've read that although Kurt used mesas later in his career, he actually used the clean channel with a DS-1 :eek:

Apparently the reasoning was that a DS-1 sounded almost as good, but was a lot easier to set up.

I've read that in several guitar mags, so it could be true, or it could be the same anecdote repeated so often it seems true.

A rat was used for the bass on Breed. :love:

Archived