OT- Free or cheap simple VST programs

spaceshot

• Members

my buddy has lots of cool vst software for his recording setup - he uses logic and cubase- and I'm really retarded when it comes to computer based recording other than limited experience with pro tools le. Is there a simple(even free) program that will let you plug a midi keyboard controller into a PC laptop and just use different synth vst's?? He has a moog modular and mellotron emulators that I would love to play around with at home- and record traditionally with analog equipment! Call me dumb, but the only option I see now is to load a whole recording program onto the laptop. Do some of the midi keyboard conrollers come with software for loading different vst's? Sorry for being so PC illiterate and btw tha laptop I want to use is in no way top of the line- it is an old p3 that was given to me. But if I need to I'd be down w/ using my desktop- newer p4. I just don't understand the vst thing. My only experience with it was watching my friend choose an option or open a window in his recording program and start noodling around with his cheapie keyboard controller. Any tech help appreciated- someday I will realize tape is old and chips and processors are the future.

Archived