Looking at kb's under $500

tdcarlson

• Members

hey, i'm lookin at gettin a synth/keyboard and have about 500 bucks to spend max. im going to be playing mostly ambient electro tunes, but a nice acoustic grand would be nice. any suggestions on how i should go about buying? i really dont know a whole lot about computer based playing but a lot of people are tellin me to get a controller and a computer program, but im just not sure if that would be too complicated to learn to do.

suggestions?

• Members

You'll need to get prices and model numbers from every source you can. Green sheet etc. then go to user reviews on this site and others to learn what these boards can do. Along the way you will pick up the overall group-think regaurding going software etc. Let me know what you come up with as I am in the same situation but a different type of music application.

-M.C.

• Members

I haven't tried one but this looks like a good deal, for 250 bucks you get a 61 key controller and 3 gigs of sounds.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-Xboard-61-Note-Keyboard-Controller?sku=703635

You can always go here and get free vst synths, crystal comes to mind.

http://www.kvraudio.com

with the 250 left over I've heard the oberheim matrix 1000 is good for the kind of music you wanna make, it's a rack mount with 1000 patches, check ebay.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• Members

Get something used, not new. The current crop of older keyboards is stellar. Korg Z1's go for beans now and the Tritons not far behind. There are plenty of boards from the 90's that can do ambient well and even a few modeled analog boards/modules that are around for under $500. It's a great, and relatively inexpensive time to play keys.

• Members

I just picked up a K2000S with VX upgrade Orchestral and Contemporary ROMs for less than $500.

This is a fantastic synthesizer!!! its my first Kurzweil, and I'm happy I got it. I've owned a Motif ES6 before, and although the instruments were more realistic (larger ROM) I can say I'm very happy with the K2k for its price. Te sequencer also seems very powerful and easy to use and considering its age this keyboard is very advanced.

This would keep you busy.

the computer is in many ways the ultimate instrument. If you spend all day staring at one though, you may want strictly hardware solutions.

Hey if you are interested I am selling my Korg Z1 and would sell it for $500 USD if you want it!

I would keep it, but I figured I need a scratch pad for my ideas away from the computer - hence the Kurz.

Z1 is excellent for ambient and as a controller for computer. This is a solid keyboard, and are very reliable.

The are capable of bizarre alien tones... but also good ep, strings, reed instruments. Don't buy it for acoustic realism, rather synthetic expressionism.

• Members

Originally posted by cyberpunx

I haven't tried one but this looks like a good deal, for 250 bucks you get a 61 key controller and 3 gigs of sounds.

You can always go here and get free vst synths, crystal comes to mind.

with the 250 left over I've heard the oberheim matrix 1000 is good for the kind of music you wanna make, it's a rack mount with 1000 patches, check ebay.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hey, great advise Mike.

Don't tell anyone else but Your right about the matrix. The cost end of it is about the best I've heard yet. Do these controllers work without a pc? They list minimum operating rqmt's as such. Or can they do both and control a module without a pc involved?

Sorry about the lame question but mabe someone out there has experience with it and mabe even knows if the action is any good on these as well!

-Mark

• Members
Originally posted by malfunkt

I just picked up a K2000S with VX upgrade Orchestral and Contemporary ROMs for less than $500.

This is a fantastic synthesizer!!! its my first Kurzweil, and I'm happy I got it. I've owned a Motif ES6 before, and although the instruments were more realistic (larger ROM) I can say I'm very happy with the K2k for its price. Te sequencer also seems very powerful and easy to use and considering its age this keyboard is very advanced.

This would keep you busy.

the computer is in many ways the ultimate instrument. If you spend all day staring at one though, you may want strictly hardware solutions.

Hey if you are interested I am selling my Korg Z1 and would sell it for $500 USD if you want it!

Thank you for the offer but that would pretty much shoot my whole wad. I tried either a Kurz or an Alesis and the key action was very spring like. Again I don't remember which mfg. it was but I recall being shocked because I remember seing a big name artist using it live and thought it should at least have a good action.

-M.C.

I would keep it, but I figured I need a scratch pad for my ideas away from the computer - hence the Kurz.

Z1 is excellent for ambient and as a controller for computer. This is a solid keyboard, and are very reliable.

The are capable of bizarre alien tones... but also good ep, strings, reed instruments. Don't buy it for acoustic realism, rather synthetic expressionism.

• Members

USUALLY they'll include a midi out, but I can't find it in the specs, I'd email someone to make sure before you buy. Even if you get a controller without a software bundle, there's tons of free and inexpensive sounds out there to be had. Yes they will work without a pc as long as they have that midi out. Also, Make sure the controller you get has different velocity curves. It's sucks to be playing b4 organ and have velocity sensitivity.

Take care,

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by cyberpunx

USUALLY they'll include a midi out, but I can't find it in the specs, I'd email someone to make sure before you buy. Even if you get a controller without a software bundle, there's tons of free and inexpensive sounds out there to be had. Yes they will work without a pc as long as they have that midi out. Also, Make sure the controller you get has different velocity curves. It's sucks to be playing b4 organ and have velocity sensitivity.

Take care,

Mike

I believe that controller has midi in/out/through. I just found a Kawai K-1-ii (2) for $100 that I thought might work to control a matrix 1000 but don't know if the trade-off would be worth it. Your suggested board being new, software ready, expandable etc. But then again, I might get more out of the K-1 on Ebay that I paid!

-M.C.

• Members

Regarding the action on K2000, seems pretty good, comparable to my Z1, semi-weighted action.

The best keys I've had have been (in no particular order)

P80

ASR-10 -

Z1 -

Motif ES6

K2000

All of the above are fantastic keyboards for semi-weighted synth playing. I like playing EPs, acoustic piano, pads ,and leads.

Another synth workth look at is the K5000 series from Kawai.

Deep, deep if not downright daunting synthesis, but so worthwhile, especially for ambient. With a computer editor it is much easier.

This series of additive synthesizers are the last additive synthesizer made (aside from software). The K5000S has plenty of knobs, while the K5000W is of a workstation variety. Classy looking synths with great keybeds too!

Can be found for around the $500 mark.

• Members

Oh yeah.

This would be killer for you. Absolutely killer.

Roland JX-8P with PG-800 plus an effect unit (more on this later)

I've owned it and the MKS-70 I just recently sold. I may be buying another with programmer eventually. I sold my MKS-70 and PG-800 to partially pay for my Monomachine.

However, the chip sets are different and I prefer the JX-8P over the MKS-70. I'm not sure if the JX-10 has the same chipset as the 8P but the 8P is so warm.. almost Jupiter/Juno warm.

Its an analog synth, and so has its strengths and limitations. It excels at making pads, bell tones, sparkly sci-fi weirdness, thick detuned leads. It has a slow attack so you won't be using it for tearing basslines or fast arps though it can pull of some surprises.

I think if you got the synth and programmer you might be able to get both for around $500.

The programmer is essential for a novice or those unfamiliar with this synth and conventional subtractive synthesis architecture. I could use one without the programmer easily though.

An effects processor is important as the synth doesn't have one. so if you want to really create vast ambience you'll need this.

A hi-end effects processor can turn any synth into an ambient machine. It makes a huge difference.

here are some effect recommendations:

Sony DPS-V55m (getting rare)

Sony DPS-77 (rare)

Lexicon MPX1 (plentifuly but oddly still pricey)

Ensoniq DP4 series (cheap, thick phasers and washes. Recommended)

SRV-3030 reverb unit only (cheap)

Other considerations:

Alesis Ion - you might just luck out and get one for around $500. One of the better analog emulations out there. No effects.

Alesis Micron - cheap, less knobs, though it has effects (simple but still useful). Certainly in your price range.

• Members

As a matter of fact I got my eye on two jx8p's in the $250 range sans programmer of course. Now brace yourself. I've also located a jx3p with one fractured highest note on the board for $125. Now I understand the the midi on this model is ultra week and the keyboard has no velocity? not sure on this one. But the sound is supposed to be Juno-ish or something all it's own. Ditto the need for a programmer esp. for my situation with no experience. ( I used to have a CZ-101 and it was a time gobbler for me) which is O.K. I recently sold it to someone in Austraila for $450. and I was stressed that I would be able to recoup my original investment of $365 which at the time I had to haggle to get!!!!

Anyway not sure I want to really dive into the retro thing. It's one thing to have a rack mount controller antique that works and sounds great, It's a whole different ball game when you throw in all the variables of a keyboard with all the old pots, contacts, sagging key return springs etc.

I'll let you know what I find and thanks a million for the comments.

-M.C.

Archived