DOD FX-65 Chorus - opinions?

paulintheuk

• Members

I had an FX-65 a long time ago. It's not a bad unit for what it is. It's not as warm-sounding as a Boss CE-2 or Ibanez CS-9, but it's a usable sound. The older units had a 1/8" power jack instead of a regular coaxial jack, which makes it a bit of a pain to power on a pedalboard. You'll have to get an adaptor. The newer models use a conventional power jack.

If it's available in the UK, you may want to try a Danelectro Fab chorus. They're really cheap, and sound good. However, if the Dan is not available, the DOD would be a decent alternative.

• Members

it's not a bad chorus but it's not an incredible one too. I have one that was given to me some times ago. It's still on my board cause I don,t use chorus that much anyway and for me it does the job. I'd say at 35$ it may be cool to try it and see if it has the chorus sounds you're looking for. If not, like the others said there's the Dan. Don't spend more than 35$ on that tought cause there's not that much resale value for that pedal...

• Members

It's not bad at all, really; the older ones are quite usable, if a bit dated, and very warm compared to contemporary units of the same period (the Ibanez CSL and the Digitech PDS 1700 come to mind).

While ithe FX65 is not the caliber/ hasn't the versatility of a TC, Retrosonic, DLS, etc... if you are looking for a solid, basic analog stereo chorus: for the price, it's hard to beat.

• Members

I like it. It's one of the two first pedals that I ever bought, and I still have it after 16 years. I don't use chorus much but I have preferred it to a Boss CE-3 and the Voodoo Labs chorus ... I bought and sold those. To me what it does best is the Leslie type thing ...

• 13 years later...
  • Members

I doubt anybody remembers this conversation, or maybe even this pedal, but I appreciate all the previous insights. 

Maybe aesthetics have changed since this thread, but I’ve had one for 3 years, and for me it’s very limited-use. I only use it on acoustics, and my 12-string in particular, where it gets a really nice double-chorus effect.

On the electrics it simply colors the sound too much, and sometimes makes it seem thinner, reminding me of the chorus on my old Digitech Multiplay (not a complement). I’ll have to try dialing in the Leslie effect everybody mentions...that would be the one foreseeable use on electric.

Still, while I paid more than some of these folks did, it was still cheap enough to be well worth having for the acoustic rig. I’m glad I have mine. But I’d be disappointed if I’d gotten this to be my primary chorus (Ibanez SC10, for the record).

Archived