I think my English Muff'n Blew

sporka

• Members

Okay, so I finally got a transformer working over here in Israel, plugged my amp in, and all was nice.

Then, I plugged in the English Muff'n adapter into the extension cord from the wall socket, and it turned on a light, and turned on. Everything seemed to be working.

Mind you, I was plugging in the adapter through a convertor from the wall sockt input to american input. I thought the English muffn's adapter could recieve 220v as it says that it is fit for the Europe area, or atleast I thought it did, on the PDF file electroharmonix supplies on their site. That is, the manuel to the device claims:

WARNING Your unit comes equipped with a 12 Volt/1 Amp AC external power adapter. Use only the power adapter supplied, and make sure it is appropriate to your location (USA, Europe, Japan, Australia). Use of the wrong adapter can cause damage to the unit or to you, and will void the warranty.

Back to the story, the thing turned on, I went up stairs for a sec, came back down, and noticed the light wasn't on while it was still plugged it. That fear-filling stench soon reached my nostrils, it smelt like smoke, or something burned, but very mild.

What I HOPE happenned is that the AC adapter with the wierd end that goes into the English Muff'n blew, and I would have to replace it, if that's possible. Iv'e never seen that kind of end on an AC adapter. This would be the best situation for me.

What most likely happenned, unfortunately, is that the 220v shooting through the adapter wasn't a right voltage, and blew the muff'n. If this happenned, what can I do? Will any sound technician be able to fix something like that? Is it something expensive?

Thanks for your help.

• Members

Originally posted by joe_lechuza

the adapters for these pedals are rubbish. i had one break just being in the box.

I don't think there is a chance it "broke".

HOPEFULLY, only the adapter blew, but I fear that it might have been the actual stompbox that blew.

• Members

I think the easiest thing to do would be to try your pedal with another 12v/1amp adapter that you know works in Israel. You should be able to find a way to convert the tip in a decent electronics shop. If not the visual sound one spot or godlyke tip convertor would do the trick. I hope availability isn't a problem.

If the pedal is damaged it should be fairly easy to get it fixed, but you'll still be better off with an adaptor you can use wherever you are in your country, without having to carry a transformer about. The pedal could be as simple as replacing one diode.

If there is no-one local who can help you could try asking for advice in the DIY forum on HC.

• Members

Originally posted by skatan

I think the easiest thing to do would be to try your pedal with another 12v/1amp adapter that you know works in Israel. You should be able to find a way to convert the tip in a decent electronics shop. If not the visual sound one spot or godlyke tip convertor would do the trick. I hope availability isn't a problem.

If the pedal is damaged it should be fairly easy to get it fixed, but you'll still be better off with an adaptor you can use wherever you are in your country, without having to carry a transformer about. The pedal could be as simple as replacing one diode.

If there is no-one local who can help you could try asking for advice in the DIY forum on HC.

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.

However, did you know what kind of tip for the AC adaptor I am talking about? It is really wierd lookig, is it a standard anywhere? Can you find them somewhere? Or is this just some exclusive AC tip that electro-harmonix, in all their wisdom, chose to produce.

Thanks again.

• Members

The EH pedals I have all use an 1/8" positive tip. From memory at least.

If you get something like this (but from Israel) then it will come with a range of different tips. Just select the one that fits and set it to positive tip if that's what the pedal needs.

I think the English Muffin needs an AC rather than an AC/DC adapter, you don't need to worry about the adaptor you buy supplying more amps than you need, the pedal will only draw what it needs.

And even if the pedal still doesn't work you can just change the tip on the adaptor and use it for another pedal, or something else like a cd player.

• Members

Originally posted by Feghead

The plug into the pedal is unique to EH tube-based pedals, its a 2-pin, 1 flat and one round. You should be able to get a new one to work in your country from most EH dealers

Why do Electro Harmonic hate their customers so much? :mad:

I don't know what the support in Israel is like, but could be worth calling up the main distributor and just asking how much a new power supply is, as its a funny one.

Or get a friend with a soldering iron to replace the adapter input. ;)

• Members

Okay, so I don't know if this is good or bad news, but the Adapter for the English Muffin won't warm up.

I plugged it in, waited for it to get warm, as AC adapter usually do, and no heat.

Could this in any way absolutely mean that the adapter is what blew?

Thanks

Archived