Odd find - TS-9's now shipping with JRC4558D?

andreas

• Members

I don't know if this has been covered before, but I just opened up a brand new Ibanez TS-9 for a mod, and to my surprise I found a JRC4558D op-amp inside, rather than the (often wieved as pesky sounding) TA75558P they normally use. I suppose either Ibanez/Hoshino got a better deal from JRC (since they use that chip in the reissue TS-808), or they simply temporarily ran out of TA75558P's and grabbed a few from the TS-808 production line.

It's not unlikely that they decided to use the same op-amp chip in both the TS-9 and 808, as they are essentially the same pedal - both pedals' circuit boards are identical, except for the adapter jack, two resistors and (perhaps previously) the op-amp.

Anyway, that's my report so far. And now, back to the regular programming... :D

/Andreas

• Members

I never got to test it before I stuck the soldering iron inside it, so I couldn't say. But from the difference I hear between those two op-amps, I'd imagine it being slightly smoother than the earlier pedals. No earth-shattering difference, of course, but still...

/Andreas

• Members

Another interesting tidbit is that there was a sticker inside the battery compartment stating that the pedal complies with the RoHS directive (new lead-free directive for the EU market). This means that they can no longer use solder with lead in it, and components that aren't RoHS certified. I had a quick look at my Swedish electronics suppliers, and the TA75558P chips are not yet RoHS certified. So that might be the reason they changed. It's a theory, at least...

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

Another interesting tidbit is that there was a sticker inside the battery compartment stating that the pedal complies with the RoHS directive (new lead-free directive for the EU market). This means that they can no longer use solder with lead in it, and components that aren't RoHS certified. I had a quick look at my Swedish electronics suppliers, and the TA75558P chips are not yet RoHS certified. So that might be the reason they changed. It's a theory, at least...

/Andreas

i think so!

we got rohs compliant jrc chips in last month, the non compliant ones are nla.

(uh oh... i hear gears turning...)

• Members

Must pick up a TS9 soon as they will not let the TA75558P chips to be non EU complient for long!

Thank god i live in the UK and have a couple of dealers with 2006 reissue TS9s in at the moment!

I need to get a portable floor based multi effects sorted soon as well!

• Members

Originally posted by jimmyc84

aren't jrc4558ds in the boss sd-1 too? they don't exactly seem to be the exclusive chip that alot of people make them out to be...

The SD-1 has a JRC4558DD (lower noise version), and no, the current production JRC4558D op-amps aren't exclusive at all. They can be had for peanuts at most electronics suppliers. Now, the original chips manufactured in the late '70s-early '80s is another matter, of course... if you want one of those, you'll usually have to pay dearly for it.

To my ears, the modern JRC4558D is quite good enough, and it is in any case far better than the TA75558P (used in the reissue TS-9 from 1993 until now).

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

Now, the original chips manufactured in the late '70s-early '80s is another matter, of course... if you want one of those, you'll usually have to pay dearly for it.

/Andreas

So what is the difference between those and the new releases?

Why would someone pay more?

Archived