Superhardon...accentuating highs, anyone had a problem with this

birdofsalt

• Members

I'm thinking of getting rid of my sho because its very verrrrrrry glassy sounding. Through my boogie it sounds cool, but through my vox ac30 its unsuable, too trebly. Its got a solid boost but because of the impedance its just emphasizing the high end.

Do all clean boosts do this, I've heard the katana is less glassy?

Just kinda a wash because it pushes the amp but the highs are too trashy sounding for me.

jon

• Members

Michael might I ask what kind of amp your using? I'm looking for the pushed sound at a lower volume as well, but the extra highs are just too much with the top boost ac30 channel.

I dont know if its worth it though because the highs normally sound nice on the amp.

Reading on the keeley site it seems like that is a cleaner boost, more truly transparent, which might be a better choice for me.

• Members

yea, its kind of dissapointing because its held in such he regard but tone is so personal so it must work for certain applications.

my deal with it is, I dont want to have to eq an already awesome sounding amp to a pedal, I'd rather find a pedal that is transparent and just digs into the amp a bit, which is why I'm seeking info on the keeley boost. His site seems to suggest that its more of a transparent pedal.

The bor seems to have a normal boost, without the glassiness from what I see but I dont need the distortion.

• Members

I just switched my SHO around. I was running it last in a chain of mostly truebypass pedals except a Whammy IV and it was pretty bright. Then I put it first, I'm guessing now the poor bypass in the whammy is killing some of the highs. It sounds better (only slightly) at the beginning with some of the edge knocked off by poor bypass. (that's also through 40 feet of cable plus George L's through out the pedal board)

• Members

Teahead. Since were bothing experienced with the ac30 and the sho, when you get a second could you explain something to me.

The keeley boost, does it do essentially the same clean boost type thing as the sho? So give it a bit more push and dig into the tubes more at a lower volume?

I was hoping on that for the sho through the vox but I'm getting very trebely sounds even when I eq the amp differently.

I'm looking for something that just boosts and really doesnt add any other elements.

Anything you disliked or found out about the keeley that would be distinguishing to it versus other clean boost pedals?

Seriously considering ebaying my sho for something more suited to my amp.

• Members

Yes, the Katana does pretty much the same thing, makes your signal bigger, bolder and more present, but without the brittle high end presence of the sho, which the Vox dislikes so much. It also has an extra setting, which adds some gain to the signal, a very useable tone.

Out of interest, what speakers are in your AC30 and are you running Normal, or Top Boost channel most of the time?

The only problem I had with the Keeley was the charge pump that turns the 9v supply/battery into 18v, it messed around with the repeats on my old Ibanez AD-80 delay. To be fair, this happened with the chage pumps in the Mini Deja Vibe too and it's the delay's problem, not the Katana's by any means.

Ultimately, I went with the BJF Sea Blue EQ for this application. It boosts just how I need it to and allows me to tailor lows, mids and highs without getting into graphic eq faders. The Katana is a very good solution for someone experiencing the problems you are, well worth trying out. Best of luck...

Tea.

• Members

I got my CS Cactus Crunch last week and I think I don't need my SHO anymore ;)

The only reason I'd keep the SHO is if it was my only OD with a non-master VC amp and could tweak the amp to tame the tone, while riding my guitars pots.

Other than that it doesn't work at all for me in a multiple OD/Boost rig into a multi-channel amp :bor:

The Cactus Crunch is HUGE sounding boost/line driver and has headroom the SHO could only dream of ;)

:wave:

• Members

Teahead thanks for the info. I am running the normal and the top boost normal about 45% up and tb about 65% up and master on about 4 ush for a usable stage volume.

It gives me an awesome distorted yet articulate sound. At certain points though I long for just a bit more saturation to heavy it up a bit, which is what orignally got me turned on to the sho. But it is def too bright for my likes.

I'm running the warfdales btw, I like them alot actually too.

Gary L thanks for the info I'll chec kout that unit as well.

• Members

Tea checked out your BJF clips, nice clips to get some feels for diff pedals. Yea sounded like a louder bit more pushed signal after the engaged pedal.

What made you choose BJF over the Katana, was it the extra eq options?

Sounds like that type of thing is more in line with what I'm trying to get at here.

• Members

Originally posted by birdofsalt

Tea checked out your BJF clips, nice clips to get some feels for diff pedals. Yea sounded like a louder bit more pushed signal after the engaged pedal.

What made you choose BJF over the Katana, was it the extra eq options?

Sounds like that type of thing is more in line with what I'm trying to get at here.

I only ditched the Katana and continued the search because of the charge pump and it's interference with my delay. Also because I use the Normal Channel 99% of the time and have Celestion Alnico Blue speakers, a combo which doesn't take kindly to a big bass boost. Since the Katana boost flat, it hikes the bass too much for my channel/speaker combination.

I had a feeling you weren't using Blues, mainly because they take treble increase quite well and seem to have a treble limiting effect. Something like the sho isn't as intolerable when you have the alnico speakers to balance it out. With Greenbacks/Wharfs, on a Vox amp it could easily be a problem.

I'd recommend you try the Katana first, your set up should respond better to it's flatter response and shouldn't be as bothered by the bass boost, as mine was. If this still doesn't do the trick, look into the Sea Blue EQ, Morning Dew EQ, or AC/RC Boosters. The extra EQ tailoring options might help get you where you need to go.

Good luck mate and keep us posted. :thu:

Archived