PolyChorus Problems!

Steve Howe

• Members

Mine makes some weird hum noise in a couple of settings, but none of the settings are sweet spots and I've just avoided certain combos.

Never had a problem with a high pitched sound with the tune/rate knob turned up. Does it do that no matter what mode you are in or how the other controls are set?

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Does it happen no matter how you have the width and rate knobs set?

Edit: Oh, duh! Is it a vintage one or the Stereo Polychorus, aka the Reissue??

To the first question: Not really.

To the second: It's got two outputs, Main and 2, so i suppose it's a reissue. It's green with chiken head knobs.

• Members

Originally posted by Steve Howe

To the first question: Not really.

To the second: It's got two outputs, Main and 2, so i suppose it's a reissue. It's green with chiken head knobs.

Yeah, thats the stereo reissue, I have the same one. Mine definatley doesn't make noises like you described. Is it really noticeble or just some little oddity that is driving you crazy? I know mine is loaded with high pitched whirring sounds when I want it to be, but only when I have several of the settings turned up.

• Members

Yeah, thats the stereo reissue, I have the same one. Mine definatley doesn't make noises like you described. Is it really noticeble or just some little oddity that is driving you crazy? I know mine is loaded with high pitched whirring sounds when I want it to be, but only when I have several of the settings turned up.

It's kinda noticable and is definately driving me crazy as I'm trying to use it to replace an old DOD 670 Flanger. This is making me wonder if I should hold onto the DOD...

Further testing has shown that it is mainly on the flanger and filter matrix mode.

I've also noticed that the width knob changes the intensity of the squealing. Here's a setting:

Width: maxed

Rate: maxed

Tune/Delay: maxed

This is present in both the matrix and flanger knobs, adjusting the width knob and tune/delay knob does stuff too.

This sucks :( I really like how organic it is but hate the god damned noise!

• Members

Hmmm, well I'll test out those settings when I get home, they're pretty extreme, I think I usually keep the delay/tune in flanger mode around 10 o'clock, but if its making noise in double track mode also there's probably an issue with your unit.

What power supply are you using with it? I don't imagine that would only cause problems on certain settings, but you never know.

• Members

Originally posted by Tonemeister87

Are you really Steve Howe?

Yes.

Hmmm, well I'll test out those settings when I get home, they're pretty extreme, I think I usually keep the delay/tune in flanger mode around 10 o'clock, but if its making noise in double track mode also there's probably an issue with your unit.

What power supply are you using with it? I don't imagine that would only cause problems on certain settings, but you never know.

I'm using the power supply I got with the pedal on ebay...is it supposed to say EHX on it?

:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by Steve Howe

I'm using the power supply I got with the pedal on ebay...is it supposed to say EHX on it?

:idea:

There's your problem! Only a fool would use the official EHX power supply!

Unless you can post some clips so we can better hear whats going on, your best bet would be to send it to Howard Davis for a tune up/repair. Thats kinda pricey though, but there are so many trimpots on the inside of this thing chances are you would do more harm than good fiddling with it unless you knew exactly what to do.

• Members

There's your problem! Only a fool would use the official EHX power supply!

Unless you can post some clips so we can better hear whats going on, your best bet would be to send it to Howard Davis for a tune up/repair. Thats kinda pricey though, but there are so many trimpots on the inside of this thing chances are you would do more harm than good fiddling with it unless you knew exactly what to do.

I'll try to get some clips for you.

Archived