OT: direct-to-disc CD-R recording on PC?

Unfed

• Members

sorry for the OT, hopefully someone can help.

i had promised a friend at work that i'd try to transfer a couple of his mother's vinyl LPs to cd for christmas. this would be no hassle for me, but since we last spoke my stand-alone Pioneer burner crapped out. i've considered trying to do it through my laptop, but got to thinking that this could eat up a ton of hard disk space (not what i'd like to do). i've thought about possibly recording at a lower bit rate to save space, not sure how this would sound.

i'm guessing there's no way to record direct without going to the HD first? any ideas would be helpful. i even thought about downloading the tracks, but the Dave 'Baby' Cortez album doesn't seem easy to find. :(

• Members

cool, thanks for the info.

probably a bit anal, but am i wrong in thinking that the less saving/deleting/saving/deleting i do will be better for the HD in the long run?

would it be worthwhile at all (in terms of space) to record at a lower resolution? anything that'll let you record as mp3? audio quality is not a huge concern here.

• Members

probably a bit anal, but am i wrong in thinking that the less saving/deleting/saving/deleting i do will be better for the HD in the long run?

Your not wrong, it just probably isn't that much of a difference. Life expectancy depends way more on the quality of the drive than it's use.

would it be worthwhile at all (in terms of space) to record at a lower resolution? anything that'll let you record as mp3? audio quality is not a huge concern here.

Can your friend even play mp3's? Generally you record as wave and then convert to mp3 to reduce file size for the internet or a portable player. If your going to a standard cd format that is playable in any cd player you need to burn to redbook format which is a glorified wave file.

Seriously though, based on the amount of time it's going to take you to do all this it's worth it to just go buy the cd if you can instead. To do this right your going to have to listen to the LP's at least once (or several times) to get the levels set correctly so you don't clip at any point, then you'll have to listen to them again to record them, and then you can burn to a CD.

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

Can your friend even play mp3's? Generally you record as wave and then convert to mp3 to reduce file size for the internet or a portable player. If your going to a standard cd format that is playable in any cd player you need to burn to redbook format which is a glorified wave file.

if i had mp3s i could just burn them onto an audio disc and save ~10x the space. i actually plan to do that with the double (ugh) Duane Eddy album, seems pretty easy to find all those songs on limewire if i had to. Dave Cortez is another story, not much to be found, even on ebay. very little of his stuff ever made it to cd as far as i can see, concerning the suggestion below.

Seriously though, based on the amount of time it's going to take you to do all this it's worth it to just go buy the cd if you can instead. To do this right your going to have to listen to the LP's at least once (or several times) to get the levels set correctly so you don't clip at any point, then you'll have to listen to them again to record them, and then you can burn to a CD.

i wouldn't go through all that trouble, or at least it's never been a huge problem setting levels. but yeah, sitting through it all comes with it. that's a pain sometimes even with albums you enjoy. just got done listening to 'calypso love song'. blechhh.

you're right though, he really should just look harder into getting this stuff proper. thanks for the suggestions.

Archived