pedalboard long cable run

tayholliday

• Members

Hi Folks,

I have an 18' pedalsnake cable running between amp and pedalboard for the effects loop. Because of the 36' of cable, I'm loosing high frequencies. Anyone know of a good way that I can make the loop more transparent, without needing to have the pedals right next to the amp?

thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by tayholliday

Hi Folks,

I have an 18' pedalsnake cable running between amp and pedalboard for the effects loop. Because of the 36' of cable, I'm loosing high frequencies. Anyone know of a good way that I can make the loop more transparent, without needing to have the pedals right next to the amp?

thanks!

Are you sure. An effects loop is low impedance. There should be little to no noticable high frequency loss at all over that distance.

• Members

Are you sure. An effects loop is low impedance. There should be little to no noticable high frequency loss at all over that distance.

It's quite noticeable, unfortunately. I'm fairly sure its the cable length because I completed the loop without any pedals (using a small adapter) and the high frequency loss persists. I've also tried various cables. The short patch cables don't have any noticeable attenuation of high frequencies, whereas long instrument cables do (20'+). I'd be surprised if the loop is high-Z, but I've emailed Orange about it. The amp is an Orange Rockerverb 50.

• Members

Your losing top-end because of the cable-run. Easy way is to put a buffered pedal, Boss, MXR etc 1st in-line or build / buy a dedicated buffer.

Hmm. My first pedal is an MXR/CAE boost pedal which I use for soloing. Presumably that's buffered. The fx loop is pretty simple:

MXR boost -> Boss DD-6 -> Ernie Ball volume pedal

• Members

Orange just replied. The effects loop send is actually high impedance, surprisingly. So I'll try a buffer at the very beginning of the loop. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks all!

Archived