How does fuzz sound blended in with a clean signal?

gr8fuldodd

• Members

Some of the older fuzzes did this (UMI comes to mind). It is weird, since the clean signal has more dynamic range, you get the clean attack and then as the decay happens the fuzz takes over. So you get a dirty decay. It is interesting but I haven't been able to really find a use for it.

• Members

The dynamics of it take a lot of getting used to, it reverses the normal play harder, get more distortion. If you can get accustomed to it, it is more natural than turning a knob, and the clean sound is louder than the fuzz sound. It is harder to use these dynamics in a group context.

It depends on if the fuzz adds in-phase or is out of phase. In-phase (e.g. some rack effects, Sparkle Drive in the overdrive case) sounds like what you would expect and also can be great if the fuzz gets delay effects. Out of phase (e.g. Controfuzz) results in a point that the clean matches the fuzz and increases the fuzziness in a sense, but only over a narrow range because the clean is so much more dynamic it goes right past the fuzz level easily. Other effects on one side of the mix dilute this aspect.

I'm not making any pedals right now with a purely clean mix function, but Subzombie can get some similar effects. One is emphasizing a mix of the lower and higher distortion levels, the lower distortion gets clean at low gain. Another is where digging in adds in a clean character with the fuzz, but on sustain or light playing the clean goes away completely. The weird thing about this apparent clean sound is how does it happen, it shouldn't be that you can add or subtract distorted signals together and get clean, but it happens when said distorted signals are the most distorted of all.

• Members

I too like the clip that was posted !

Looks like i will like this one too, because my Custom *(4-in-1) Technophobia LM308 RAT has a blend knob too . . .

CandleRat1.jpg

The BLEND know on this Rat, has the same effect as if you would use the vol. knob on your guitar, but instead it is now on the Rat, and you leave the guitar well-alone !

* 4-in-1 function knob, is:

1) Rat + Tubescreamer

2) Rat II

3) Turbo Rat

4) Clean Boost

Blender, here i come . . .

;)

Archived