OT: How do I Back up my Hard Drive?

88mm

• Members

Originally posted by Marcy Lord

I wouldnt even bother doing the DVD image...just buy an external HD. Has more use than the DVD, and are priced great.

at Costco, a 500 gig external HD is...$129 (?)..a no brainer:)

This is another good plan...cheap and handy to have the external for backing stuff up...although he still will need a new internal HD to replace the one that is going bad...

• Members

Office Depot runs good buys on HD's. I picked up a Maxtor 100 GB for $20 after an $80 rebate recently.

Some good choices here. It pays dividends to do it while you still have the opportunity. I heard my old drive getting noisy and waited too long.

• Members

Originally posted by 88mm

I am looking into getting an external HD but since I already have blank DVDs and a Burner I would like to do this ASAP just to be on the safe side.

So do I need a 3rd party program to do this?

What burning software do you have? If anything you should be able to just burn a few data DVD's to back up your important files.

• Members

I've used Norton Ghost for several years at work to back up our drives... never really had a problem - the newest version (10) is very easy to use and you can back up CD, DVD, or another drive (either internal or external via USB or Firewire connection). That should do the trick for ya'. Good luck...

Archived