Academic Price for Logic Pro?

MFenkner

• Members

I've been considering buying Logic Pro and since I'm taking classes part-time, I quality as a student. One thing that has left me scratching my head is that Apple lists the academic price on their website as $499, but a lot of websites for university bookstores sell it for $299 (to their students, of course) and I also came across an Apple price sheet that listed it as $299.

Do some schools have a deal with Apple to sell it even cheaper? Does anyone know a store that will sell to outside students for $299?

I'm sure it's a great value at $499, but heck, if it's possible to get it for $299 then why waste the extra $200?

Mark

• Members

I've been considering buying Logic Pro and since I'm taking classes part-time, I quality as a student. One thing that has left me scratching my head is that Apple lists the academic price on their website as $499, but a lot of websites for university bookstores sell it for $299 (to their students, of course) and I also came across an Apple price sheet that listed it as $299.

Do some schools have a deal with Apple to sell it even cheaper? Does anyone know a store that will sell to outside students for $299?

I'm sure it's a great value at $499, but heck, if it's possible to get it for $299 then why waste the extra $200?

Mark

Something to keep in mind is that the NFR and EDU versions of Logic are not upgradeable. So if you think you will stick with Logic Pro 7.2 for a long time, this is a good deal.

Rick

• Members

Something to keep in mind is that the NFR and EDU versions of Logic are not upgradeable. So if you think you will stick with Logic Pro 7.2 for a long time, this is a good deal.

Rick

I know I keep hearing that, and that's what Apple states in their documentation, but I've come across posts in other forums where people have claimed that it is upgradable and/or they have done it. I would tend to think that it is technically upgradable but there is no Academic version of the upgrade.

Even if it's not upgradable, since it only costs $499 (or $299), you can buy it again when it's time to upgrade.

Mark

• Members

I know I keep hearing that, and that's what Apple states in their documentation, but I've come across posts in other forums where people have claimed that it is upgradable and/or they have done it. I would tend to think that it is technically upgradable but there is no Academic version of the upgrade.

Even if it's not upgradable, since it only costs $499 (or $299), you can buy it again when it's time to upgrade.

Mark

Yeah...

I bought my EDU LP7 when it first came out (I actually bought LP6 and they announced LP7 like a month later... thankfully I procrastinated, never opened the box, and they let me return it). Anyway, at the time they didn't mention it wasn't upgradeable (the part number is also different than the EDU versions now). I did upgrade to LP 7.1 so hopefully I'll be able to upgrade to LP8 when the time comes. Because it would stink if they told me I couldn't when there wasn't sufficient warning back then.

I am curious though, how they can make it that some versions are upgradeable and others are not. It's probably something really simple embedded on the DVD, but I don't know about those kinds of things.

And yeah, the "upgrades" themselves are not discounted. So if going with the Apple Store you would probably be looking at another $499 for EDU LP8, versus a $299 upgrade (obviously the pricing is better outside the Apple store).

• Members

I am curious though, how they can make it that some versions are upgradeable and others are not. It's probably something really simple embedded on the DVD, but I don't know about those kinds of things.

Apple probably just uses a different Serial Number scheme with their different versions.

Archived