so, nobody is interested in karma software?

mobobog

• Members

Karma Lab has software for the Korg Karma (Karma MW) and the Triton series (Karma Triton). Stephen Kay (the head of Karma Lab and inventor of Karma technology) has always talked about releasing a hardware-independent version of Karma, but he keeps getting "distracted" working as an independent contractor for Korg. He worked on the Korg OASYS project for at least 4 years (and still works on it), and just yesterday he posted he has been working on the Korg M3 project for over a year now.

• Members

Part of the problem is that a standalone version couldn't really build any presets in the same way as you can do for a defined architecture like the Triton or Oasys, where you know what sounds and FX you're working with. I don't know how much the second generation has been improved, but properly wrapping your head around what Karma can do (so it acts as more than a fancy arp) apparently wasn't the easiest of tasks.

Maybe he wants too much money for small VST makers? :) Would perhaps be interesting to see it in something like Kontakt, as an alternative to the scripting system they use now..

• Members

From listening to the demos I am not that impressed by Karma as the target audience seems to be house and rave fans.

I guess one could apply it to any genre/sounds they want though.. I saw a demo where the guy (I think the demo referred to Future Funk) was pretending to play bass and guitar which made me cringe... it was about as far from funk as one might imagine...

• Members

I'm very interested ... but I'm not going to spend $2-3k to "wrap my head around Karma." It's too bad the M3 isn't a little more impressive ... No audio tracks? Not a proper workstation, IMO.

So when is Korg going to release it's price? You'd think they'd know by now.

I think what Korg is trying to do is figure out the absolute highest price it can sell it at initially based on the reaction -- somewhat muted? -- and then go from there.

I think that's wrong ... as we've seen from the introductions of the Fusion and the Radias ... inevitable price drops don't inspire confidence in a product despite the end result of garnering more sales ...

Korg should be figuring out around the lowest price it can sell it at, still make some money and grab market share andmake it a success right off the bat ... Not like the Radias.

My prediction is that people are not going to be running out en masse to trade in their Triton Extremes. Why should they?

• Members

From listening to the demos I am not that impressed by Karma as the target audience seems to be house and rave fans.

Not so sure about that...have you seen the M3 video demo which includes Karma on Sonic State...

• Members

Not so sure about that...have you seen the M3 video demo which includes Karma on Sonic State...

Yeah, but it was all really cheesey... I mean I'm not really into 100% electronic music.. I want to feel a human element in there.. it just didn't strike me as being that great... but I'm more a piano guy with an interest in electronica rather than the other way around. :)

• Members

My prediction is that people are not going to be running out en masse to trade in their Triton Extremes. Why should they?

I don't think manufacturers expect everyone with the prior model to buy the new unit (e.g. not everyone who bought a Motif traded for a Motif XS, not everyone who had a Triton Classic traded for a Triton Studio or Extreme).

There is a lot of interest over at the Korg-related forums about the M3, but like any product, true interest will be tempered by price and actually being able to demo the unit.

• Members

I'm interested in KARMA, having dabbled in interactive computer music in the past, using Max/MSP to take MIDI guitar input and spit out various experimental nonsense. :D

KARMA is 100000x more sophisticated than my Max/MSP patches. I'm sure I could come up with even crazier avant-garde {censored}e if I could get my hands on a KARMA-running machine.

• Members

I guess the problem with Karma is its too associated with Korg for anyone else to pick it up now and add it to a workstation.

Be interesting to have an M3 or an Oasys driving something likke a virus tho, or for extreme madness - use a midi->gate+cv to drive a modular :D

• Members

Normally, you won't see the price lowered until the 18 month point, so the Radias was definitely an exception (which to me says it didn't sell as Korg had hoped).

If Korg beleive it aint doing as well as expected then a thought - why risk it as the launch VA expansion for the M3?

OK - so its there and can be applied straight away - allready running on that DSP platform I guess.

Actually - it wierd how prices in the UA continue to drop with the truly crap dolar at tghe moment... - I would have though that none US good would be going through the roof...

About time they got ripped off like everyone else.

• Members

I'd like it but only without the korg gear. I'm sure the issue is entirely the fact that kay would have to ship a standalone software version without presets or spend a ton of time documenting out GE's and suggesting how to tie them into an "unspecified" synth. Since almost no-one creates their own synth patches much less do something as complex as a GE the market for a standalone version is going to be really really small.

• Members

I'm sure the issue is entirely the fact that kay would have to ship a standalone software version without presets or spend a ton of time documenting out GE's and suggesting how to tie them into an "unspecified" synth. Since almost no-one creates their own synth patches much less do something as complex as a GE the market for a standalone version is going to be really really small.

Stephen has said he wants to release a standalone version, but the Korg projects (and their associated steady paychecks) seem to occupy all of his time.

• Members

It would certainly make a wicked MIDI plugin for you DAW
:)

....if you connect it upto Reaktor.

As it stands, what I hear from those videos is that Karma seems to be targetted at people who have given up writing music (that quote stolen from someone else ;) ) or for when a quick unimportant music fill is required just to get a job done, i.e. not art (that quote also stolen from someone else ;) )

The best thing I've ever seen the Karma do, was to trip that kid up behind Steven Kay in that NAMM video a year or two back!

• Members

I miss having my Karma around. If I had it here, I'd probably be using it a 3-rd tier keyboard and using it to feed Karmafied-MIDI streams into other synths. I'd also be having lots of fun fiddling with writing custom GEs. I'm going to have to figure out some way to get it shipped over here, or maybe buy another one locally.

B>

• Members

....if you connect it upto Reaktor.

As it stands, what I hear from those videos is that Karma seems to be targetted at people who have given up writing music (that quote stolen from someone else
;)
) or for when a quick unimportant music fill is required just to get a job done, i.e. not art (that quote also stolen from someone else
;)
)

The best thing I've ever seen the Karma do, was to trip that kid up behind Steven Kay in that NAMM video a year or two back!

Would you rather program a whole backing sequence of wierd tickles in some ambient track or play this thing see where is leads you?

I know what I would rather do... at least get things going...

Same with a load of layered arps on a TI - how often have you just sounds a bunch of sound that fitted with a load of difference, but complimentary arps on them and spend ages frigging around with it then a few hours later you have a whole bunch of recorded sequences to start building something from?

Thats also one of the pleasures of the Radias presets - would hardly use any of them as they are, but for inspirational friggin around value - they are excellent.

• Members

I guess one could apply it to any genre/sounds they want though.. I saw a demo where the guy (I think the demo referred to Future Funk) was pretending to play bass and guitar which made me cringe... it was about as far from funk as one might imagine...

I'm a huge fan of the Karma (as you might tell from my user name) and have been playing one since they came out. It might seem from the demos you heard that it is targeted to house/rave fans, but it is incredibly versatile and can be used for any kind of music. The music I create on it is ambient electronic/new age. It's amazing for evolving pads and ethereal soundscapes, as well as those Tangerine Dream-type analog sounding arpeggiator sequences. I own about 10 synths including Wavestation A/D,Triton Rack, JD990,K5000R, and others, and the Karma is by far my number one.

Archived