motif ES vs. electro for Rhodes sounds

mchristi

• Members

The Yami EPs are very usable. They have the Electro beat on the tine-ish ones, for sure. The action on the S90(ES) and the Motif8 are more suited for EPs.

However the Electro has the "phat" aspect, which (for some) makes/breaks the deal.

For me, the weight was a big factor and the Electro won hands down.

• Members

The Yami EPs are very usable. They have the Electro beat on the tine-ish ones, for sure. The action on the S90(ES) and the Motif8 are more suited for EPs.

However the Electro has the "phat" aspect, which (for some) makes/breaks the deal.

For me, the weight was a big factor and the Electro won hands down.

• Members

S90 and Motifs have a good rhodes called Vintage 74. This is a pretty authentic suitcase rhodes sound, although not particularly dynamic.

They also have a bunch of DX7-like digi tine crap that sounds nothing like the real thing.

Electro has several choices that are arguably a bit more authentic than the Yamaha, but they don't play as smoothly from the unweighted waterfall keyboard.

The wurli in the Yamahas (well S90 anyway) is pretty not bad, but the one in the Electro absolutely kills.

The other big advantage of Electro is that all those nice effects are right at your fingertips, not buried in a menu.

The big advantage of S90 / Motif is the weighted hammer action.

• Members

Quote by Matt Stubb:

----------------------------------------------------

S90 and Motifs have a good rhodes called Vintage 74. This is a pretty authentic suitcase rhodes sound, although not particularly dynamic

They also have a bunch of DX7-like digi tine crap that sounds nothing like the real thing.

----------------------------------------------------

Matt, you're talking about factory patches. If you don't like the stock patches, they're easy enough to edit and save as a user patch. You can create just about ANY Rhodes sound that was ever invented on a ES. I edited several Rhodes patches for particular songs and they sound killer. There are numerous Chorus and LFO options on the ES, and they're very good. You can EQ each voice with 4 separate controls...Low, Mid Low, Mid High, High. While this is not a momumental invention, you can remove the 250 cycle sounds that muddied up the original Rhodes sound and get a clear rendition of a Rhodes. You can adjust the relative volume of each of the four separately EQ'ed ranges too. I never cared much for the DX7 Rhodes sound even on the original, but that's me. The ES does a nice job on Wurli too.

The deal breaker between the ES and the Electro is size and cost. An Electro does a great job creating the sounds that come with it. It's lighter and much cheaper than an ES. If you like the action and can handle the keyboard setup (Low F, not E? Please, doesn't anyone work in groups with guitar players?) the Electro would be the best choice.

Mike T.

• Members

I'm guessing the Electro has a leg up but I keep reading on this board that the rhodes sounds are good on the Motifs. All I'd want from the electro is rhodes and wurlitzer, I don't need a great B3 or clav.

Your thoughts?

The answer really depends on whether you need a weighted action or not. I find the Rhodes experience much more satisfying from weighted keys and you won't find those on an Electro. I use an S90 (same sounds as Motif Classic) and an Electro. I agree with Moe that the Wurlies in the Electro school just about anything I've played. The Rhodes are a pretty even match, though the S90 has a little more variety. The Electro is kind of like using a raw and real Rhodes, while the S90/Motif has all these FX to make them sound like a recorded Rhodes. I find the Electro to be very organic, like playing an instrument with tines/hammers/strings.

You said you don't care about B3, but the Electro also delivers this in spades.

The Clavinet sounds in the Electro are also amazing. The form factor of the Electro is pretty unique as well. Tiny package, light weight, excellent waterfall action keybed. I love playing organ, clav and Wurly on the Electro keybed, but Rhodes is better from the S90 MIDI'd to the Electro.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

I use both, but play them all from my S90ES. I use at least a half dozen of the Rhodes sounds from the ES and have a few patches that call up Electro Rhodes and Wurlie sound, some layered with other sounds out of the ES.

On the ES I like VintageCase, it's probably my most used EP patch. I also like the Hard Vintage and Chorus Vintage, Dyno Strait and Chorus Dyno, and 1983 among others. I have a couple that are layers, like Vintage case with phaser strings or choir I can add in with a slider. One of my favorites is using a Rhodes from the Electro and layering it with a fat clav sound from the ES. Talk about down and dirty funk.

Archived