Do real-time arpeggiators exist?

tdempsey

• Members

Hello synth gurus -

Please bear with me, I consider myself new to synths even though I have owned a JV-1080 for a few years... I'm also using the Trilogy bass synth.

I'm recently into Chill music and wonder if there are any synths that do real-time arpeggiating? In other words, using Digital Performer MIDI Effect plug-ins, I understand how to apply arpeggiator and echo after the fact...

but this is tedious and I'm looking for more instant gratification.

Do modern day synths that sport arpeggiator functionality actually allow you to hold down a chord/triad and do the arpeggiator in real time?

Forgive me if this seems obvious to you - it's not to me!

The next logical step is to ask whether to $399 price point (Korg, Alesis) gets me this real time, performance arpegiatto.

Thanks for any informed info!

• Members

Yup, virtually all arpeggiators are realtime. Actually, I'd imagine DP's arpeggiator can work in realtime, too. I'm just sort of assuming, because I've actually never heard of an arpeggiator that didn't operate in realtime. Have you tried just placing the arpeggiator on a track and then playing a chord?

• Members

Tdempsey, there are even arps that change how they arp depending on the order you play the notes (Waldorfs come to mind). That is, if you play a Cm chord by playing C, Eb, G, you'll get a different arp pattern than if you play C, G, Eb. In both cases, I mean you have to play the notes quickly, but it does matter what order if you set the arp up that way.

You can get very playable results using something like this. Here's a brief example you can hear that I made by controlling a Pro-One with the arp from a Waldorf Q. Notice how the note order changes on some chords because I play the notes in different ways.

Arp Example

• Members

Every synth that offers Note order : As Played as an option (my XP-30 does, at least) can do this trick.

As for the price point; several machines come to mind; one of 'm being the Novation Nova which has a lot of (programmable) arpeggiator patterns.

What kind of synth do you need - sample based (mostly realistic sounds) or virtual-analog (synthetic sounds)?

• Members

Thanks Yoozer!

I've found the solution in DP; to add the plug-in in the mixer before playing the part. In fairness the documentation isn't good about the kind of training I need, but now I'm over this hurdle when sequencing.

I suppose the synth I want for jamming with friends should be techno-centric, so in my mind the Alesis Micron price point will probably foot the bill (even though I've read here that the UI is not particularly friendly - there must be some immediate gratification in the presets).

Thanks for not flaming me on this gang - sometimes I wish there was a MIDI boot camp where I could get up to speed.

Archived