Soundgarden tone, recommend me a dirt-box

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

OK guys, lets jump back in time, to the 1990's !

Lets think GRUNGE (not Nirvana) but, Soundgarden SUPERUNKNOWN, era :evil:

By then, both Kim & Chris Cornell played guitar, but i want Kim Thyll's(sp?) dark & moody tone !

So, recommend me ONE dirt-box that will place me solidly in the SUPERUNKNOWN ball-park !

Remember, i will play through a Blues Jr. and Epi LP with vintage voiced SD pu's = '59(b)/SetLover(n)

Is there a pedal that can re-create the dark, doomy/moody tone of Kim's tone ???

Thanx guys

;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

DS-2 for sure (I just youtubed that song you said.)

Oh you'll need humbuckers too.

THANX MATE !

Don't know how well you know Soundgarden (hopefully very well), but Superunknown is not just a song, but also the name of their break-through album.

Do you think that the DS-2 will be able to do the other tracks on the album too ?

I never even thought of a Boss pedal that could do the trick ! :(

• Members

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

OK guys, lets jump back in time, to the 1990's !

Lets think GRUNGE (not Nirvana) but, Soundgarden SUPERUNKNOWN, era
:evil:

By then, both Kim & Chris Cornell played guitar, but i want Kim Thyll's(sp?) dark & moody tone !

So, recommend me ONE dirt-box that will place me solidly in the SUPERUNKNOWN ball-park !

Remember, i will play through a Blues Jr. and Epi LP with vintage voiced SD pu's = '59(b)/SetLover(n)

Is there a pedal that can re-create the dark, doomy/moody tone of Kim's tone ???

Thanx guys

;)

you won't really get close with that setup.

aside from the fact that Kim used strange tunings, dropped tunings, extra thick strings, at that point, he was also using amp distortion from Boogie rectifiers through large cabs.

you're fighting an uphill battle.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

aside from the fact that Kim used strange tunings, dropped tunings, extra thick strings, at that point, he was also using amp distortion from Boogie rectifiers through large cabs.

Understood . . .

. . . but a battle worth fighting, as i will have an Orange TT (probably w. a 1x12, or 1x15 closed back cab) come mid-07 (at the very latest).

OK, so it is NOT a Boogie, but it is heavier sounding than my Blues Jr.

Keep those oppions comming . . .

• Members

yep.

and the fact youre copying someone who was trying to create a unique sound makes me :(

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

most of the early grunge bands used the cheapest stuff they could find; they couldn't afford anything else

. . . are you saying i should try a Behringer or Dano box ?

Hell, it might just work - for ball-park Grunge, but i want ball-park Soundgarden :(

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

I think the pickups play a big part though. Kurt used Jaguars or Jazzmasters or whatever they are (single coils anyway). Grunge bands were more like Les Pauls..... I think.

I am pretty sure Kurt used guitars with humbuckers in the bridge position.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr.Picklebottom

yep.

and the fact youre copying someone who was trying to create a unique sound makes me
:(

No really copy as per se, more ball-park, with my own sick twist added !

I'll never be able to play in a cover band that try to simmulate a tone 100% - that's just not me !

• Members

By then, both Kim & Chris Cornell played guitar

By then :confused:

Anyhoo, Zoom Tri-Metal on a (relatively) low gain setting will get you in the ballpark. I use it for 4th of July and Outshined. Box Of Rock with gain and boost up high does pretty well too. But frankly, any good stiff dose of distortion will get you in the ballpark. I'm tempted to break out the DS-1 just to see...

• Members

Yup, as far as i know, Cornell did NOT play guitar on the first few albums, and only started playing that beautifull Gretsch, round about the SUPERUNKNOWN album period !

But then again, i might be slightly wrong
:rolleyes:

Dunno about the Gretsch, but he played guitar on Ultramega OK, Flower, Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger. Course, he started as a drummer...

afaik he's the riffmeister and altered-tuning nut. Though Thayil rules in his own right and was always madman enough to solo in those altered tunings.

• Members

I don't have access to the pic now, but I think he was using a Peavey head (not the 5150), at least for his live rig.

c

Archived