"Dr. Who" nostalgia

Diametro

• Members

For entertaining homoerotic subtexts, nothing beats Gerry Andersen's _UFO_. Actually for watching Nick Drake's sister, Gabrielle, in a silver miniskirt and a purple wig, nothing beats Gerry Andersen's _UFO_ as well, but basically, if it's an Andersen production and has Ed Bishop in it, it's gonna be pretty gay, whether it knows it or not. The future, according to _UFO_, is Ed Bishop in rouge and very, very eurotrash. I'll bet he has "Sharivari" on repeat in his futuristic car. God damn, I love that show.

"Some bread and cheese and fine white wine [der ner NER ner]"

• Members

I love watching those DW intro titles. I still prefer the original Delia Derbyshire mix, though! :thu:

As for the gay thing, I think that's mainly because some of the recent revival seasons were written / directed by the people that did "Queer as Folk". If you want to see this taken even further, have a look at the new series called "Torchwood" - they don't even try to be subtle there! :eek:

• Members

for watching Nick Drake's sister, Gabrielle, in a silver miniskirt and a purple wig, nothing beats Gerry Andersen's _UFO_

UFO? The Equalizer?

man ... something tells me you got that Dish Network HD package too.

i'm quite fond of The Genesis Channel myself, but i've really been wanting to watch UFO ... it's the future i've always wanted.

• Members

I just watched the clip again... believe it or not I downloaded a torrent the other day from UKNOVA which showed Peter Howell (I think) demonstrating how he put that version of the track together...

He played the bassline on a Yamaha CS80, the intro fx was also the CS80 using its ring modulator, the Arp Odyssey did the lead...

There was also another clip of the Radiophonic workshop in 1986... they were using BBC B's, MACs and Roland S50 and the like... sounded bloody awful.. slap bass patches, tacky drum programming....

• Members

UFO? The Equalizer?

man ... something tells me you got that Dish Network HD package too.

i'm quite fond of
myself, but i've really been wanting to watch UFO ... it's the future i've always wanted.

I only watch DVDs, mate - so if you ever visit, be sure to fire up your TiVo at home. It'll be all Bertolucci and UK comedies from the 90s here.

• Members

It's the B-side of a Dr Who seven inch I have, somewhere, but it was also on a BBC collection... _Through a Glass, Darkly_, I think?

Edit, there's nothing more annoying that vanished records. I have eight or so that are unaccounted for, and they're really pissing me off.

• Members

you should check the video in my livejournal from yesterday. i think you would find it humourous.

also, where can i find this Pete Howell vid? it sounds necessary.

www.uknova.com

Someone put a load of Radiophonic stuff on there recently. There was even a clip with Peter Howell demonstrating the Fairlight series I. But most of it was pants...

• Members

Christ, those are practically worn through. Only series one of IAP, though. The second series was balls.

I thought so too...initially, until I watched it again.... and again... before discovering that its actually the strongest out of them all... it is different though... I remember being disappointed with the first series of IAP becuase I adored Knowing Me Knowing You.

Alan's James Bond night ("Stop getting Bond wrong!!!") , along with the pervy kitchen salesman ("Dan!.... Dan!..... Dan!.... Dan!....") was a highlight ("DAN!....").

:D

• Members

Tom Baker was the best Dr.Who for me. I was lucky enough to get on the set when I was a small boy.. I think he was always a little mad.. Sort of how Dr.Who should have come across..!

Rimmer

Please, tell us more. Did you meet him? Who did you know?

What other details do you remember?

• Members

Please, tell us more. Did you meet him? Who did you know?

What other details do you remember?

I did meet him, but I think I was around 7 years old or something but the memory is reasonably clear as it was a special time... My father was working on the show at the time and took me there as I was off school and had no one else at home to look after me. Got wrapped in his scarf.. Really nice chap as far as I remember...

Rimmer

• Members

I did meet him, but I think I was around 7 years old or something but the memory is reasonably clear as it was a special time... My father was working on the show at the time and took me there as I was off school and had no one else at home to look after me. Got wrapped in his scarf.. Really nice chap as far as I remember... Rimmer

Thanks for your memories ... if you don't mind ...

What did your father do on the show?

Do you remember anything specific about the smell of Tom Baker's scarf?

• Members

Thanks for your memories ... if you don't mind ...

What did your father do on the show?

Do you remember anything specific about the smell of Tom Baker's scarf?

My father is (was) an actor and played The Caber in Terror of the Zygons, who was the head of the Zygons.. I was there for a few hours as he had to get in costume and play a scene.

I remember the set being very old fashioned with lots of ropes and stuff to open the doors. It was something of an anti climax as I thought the doors opened with motors or air. There were a couple of guys dragging a rope from each side..

Good memories though...!

Rimmer

• Members

Nothing about that scarf?

I'm into filmmaking ... which is fairly unglamorous except really at the highest levels ... once met John Schlesinger in L.A. on the set of "Eye for an Eye" and met this woman face-a-face ... she's truly one of the most gracious people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting ...

dangelobeverly141ti5.jpgcoalminerspatsyeb1.gif

Beverly D'Angelo is GOLD!

Archived