advice for bass

gr8fuldodd

• Members

I finally got around to bringing a bass I had laying around at my folks house back to my place

I don't have a bass amp so I never really wanted to mess with it

but awhile ago I got the Line 6 tone port and I noticed it had bass sims

so I'm finally messing around with it

my questions are:

what do you do to enhance a bass?

compression? reverb? etc.

I'm totally in the dark about using a bass

• Members

I originally had (and still do have) a Ibanez Soundgear bass which has active pups in it. The eq and body thumped nicely which is pretty much all you can ask for. But that has humbuckers.

THEN I got a Fender Jazz bass and likely experienced the same thing that you did. I found it a little thin and lifeless through smaller setups. Not throaty raw goodness like I had hope for. Anyway, I tried tons of pedals looking for one that did what I wanted it to do which was to add some more body and round out the sound some.

I arrived at the Tech 21 Bass compactor. It was definitely compression that was needed but the Tech 21 seemed to rise to the top when comparing it side by side to the EBS and Boss competition. I think that the main reason was the EQ section. It has a treble and bass knob which helped immensely with the tone shaping.

It's not the most expensive pedal out there but it did the job for me. Certainly worth a try.

• Members
Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

I tried the fuzz face sim it's got, but that sounded terrible

but one of the presets is a great fuzz

it was using the Rat sim

sounds great

kinda like that Tones on Tail song

i like that!
David J (ToT and Love and Rockets and bauhaus) is actually one of the main reasons i love fuzzed out bass!

Muff sounds good and especially 60's mosquito fuzztones!
:love:

Archived