Is the Vox Cooltron Bulldog Distortion pedal any good?

Humbucker

• Members

Is the Vox Cooltron Bulldog Distortion pedal any good?

Anybody here familiar with this dirt box?

Does it do a really convincing job of replicating tube crunch? And is it good at doing the old school 70s-type tube sound?

Would you say that it's better at doing the tube thang than say the Tonebone Classic?

• Members

I wouldn't say it's better for the 70's classic rock sound, but different. Channel 1 would be the channel you would use for that, channel 2 can be used as a hot lead sound, though it will be different than ch1. I guess the best way to put it, is that the Vox seems to add a little more juice to your sound, yet fuzzy(in a good way IMO). The Bulldog also adds quite a bit of high end as well, which can be bothersome if you are really picky. Another thing I noticed, is that the Bulldog sounds better when overdriven by a non TS style OD like the Boss SD-1 or Rocktron Austin Gold.

Personally I like the unit, but YMMV depending on type of amp and guitar also.

• Members

Thanks waveman!

From what I've read, the Tonebone Classic doesn't get any of it's distortion from the tube, it's done with FETs or opamps.

The Vox Cooltrons apparently do get their distortion from the tube, sounds like that might be a better design, no?

Archived