$140 for vinatge Maxon AD-80 (18 v) Is it good deal?

Picassochild

• Members

Nope. Ibanez effects are Maxon effects. They were simply rebranded Ibanez for the non-Japanese markets, possibly because Ibanez had some brand recognition in these markets, so Maxon didn't have to build its own reputation from scratch. Though there were a few Maxon effects in the mid-80s that never made it to the Ibanez 10 series, like the Rock n Roll dual overdrive. There's also a 5 or 6 knob digital chorus that looks nothing like the Ibanez digital chorus.

Complete items search of ebay reveals the last couple have gone for $200ish.

EDIT: You're probably thinking of current Ibanez pedals compared to current Maxon ones. Probably sometime about the end of the 10 series Maxon stopped making pedals for Ibanez. The current nine-series reissues that Ibanez makes are not made by Maxon. Maxon continue to make pedals under their own name (including reissues) which are made pretty much to the same designs as back in the 80s, and so are amongst the most expensive factory-made pedals today. Aside from true-bypass I doubt current Maxon pedals are any better than their vintage equivalents (except obvious differences like the CS9 versus the CS9Pro+). It's their use of outdated NOS materials that makes them more expensive today. If Boss were to make an all-analog CE-2 reissue today it'd probably cost $150+.

• Members

I've never tried any of them, but I had an Ibanez AD100 which is often said to be the rack version of the AD80. It's a really dark and lo-fi delay. I read here that it's darker than the DM-2, which itself is regarded as dark delay. It makes a good echo and slapback type delay, but the difference between the dry signal and the delayed signal is really stark if you want to max the delay time and volume for rhythmic patters - it stands out a mile (this may be good or bad). In any event you'll almost never find a DM-2 for $140 so there's no need to worry about which is better, unless price is no objective.

Archived