Blue tubes!

Steve Howe

• Members

I posted this in the Amp forum, but I honestly don't expect an answer.

The 3rd to last tube in my Fender DRRI is glowing blue. It's a 6V6 so I'm assuming it's a power tube. My amps been crackling like {censored} lately so I guess this is why? Any advice? :confused:

Also, would this be affecting the reverb/tremolo? I can't turn the reverb on when a footswitch is connected and I can't turn the tremolo on when there isn't one. Thanks :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by passing ghost

i belive a blue tube means it leaking the gas from inside.

get a new set.

i can't help you on the reverb.

wouldn't they have to be leaking gas from the outside, since they are vacuum tubes?

• Members
Originally posted by hbar

wouldn't they have to be leaking gas from the outside, since they are
vacuum
tubes?

I remember reading somewhere that you didn't quite understand what Howard Davis did to your PolyChorus. The trim-pots were out of whack so he realigned them. :)

• Members

Your username needs to be changed. You asked a question last week about hollowbody electrics. Steve Howe is the master of said guitars. He would also know that a blue glow in a vacuum tube is perfectly normal. You are no Steve Howe.

As for the footswitch problem, you probably have the cables switched around.

:wave:

• Members

There was a time I once didn't know if blue glow was OK. I googled it first and low and behold, I found a plethora of information about it on different websites. I read a few of them, just to make sure I wasn't getting just one guys opinion.

www.google.com is a really useful website. You can search millions of webpages for text, and if you get unuseful results, you can put " " around exact phrases you want to find. You should bookmark it, or maybe even homepage it. They've got this really cool thing called Gmail which gives you a free gig of email space, and you can get a bunch of different RSS like feeds on your front page along with telling you if you have new Gmail. It is awesome.

• Members
Originally posted by SpectralJulian

There was a time I once didn't know if blue glow was OK. I googled it first and low and behold, I found a plethora of information about it on different websites. I read a few of them, just to make sure I wasn't getting just one guys opinion.

www.google.com
is a really useful website. You can search millions of webpages for text, and if you get unuseful results, you can put " " around exact phrases you want to find. You should bookmark it, or maybe even homepage it. They've got this really cool thing called Gmail which gives you a free gig of email space, and you can get a bunch of different RSS like feeds on your front page along with telling you if you have new Gmail. It is awesome.

Yeah, quit asking us legitimate gear questions. You're distracting us from posting pics of Elisha Cuthbert and bagging on some twat troll from Dallas who's gonna show us, show us all...

• Members

In general different tube types have different strength vaccums and depending on the vacuum you get different amounts of blue glow. Sometimes it is a sign that a tube is on the way out, sometimes it is "normal". EL-34/6CA7 glow the most IIRC (weak vacuum).

• Members

Originally posted by CapnMarvel

Yeah, quit asking us legitimate gear questions. You're distracting us from posting pics of Elisha Cuthbert and bagging on some twat troll from Dallas who's gonna show us, show us all...

Caught me when I felt like on a bad day. No sleep last night. It's just common message board code to google things and search the board first. It is mainly for yourself though, people can get answers so much quicker if they google things.

• Members
Originally posted by Steve Howe

I remember reading somewhere that you didn't quite understand what Howard Davis did to your PolyChorus. The trim-pots were out of whack so he realigned them.
:)

Not that I didn't understand, I just knew it was Howard Davis'd, but that was all. Thanks. Not sure what that zing comment was about, either.

Archived