What can you tell me about Monte Allums/CMATMODS?

tlchase68

• Members

I recently discovered the Monte Allums pedal mods and the sound clips are pretty awesome. It seems like he knows which parts to swap out for the best tone. I'm thinking about sending my CS-3 (w/ Indyguitarist mods) for the Opto mod, MT-2 (w/ Indyguitarist Bogner/Diezel mod) for the Tri-Gain mod, and MIJ CE-2 (unmodded) for the upgrades...That is, I'll be sending them to Chad Matthews. It sounds like the DIY kits are fairly simple, but I don't want to take any chances with my pedals! I really like his Rat II mod, but mine has already been modded by Keeley.

BTW, the Indyguitarist mods made the pedals sound better, but Monte's seemed even better...Plus they are reasonably priced. I think it will be worth it!

• Members

hello, I want to share my experience with the Monte mods. I started with the CS3 mod. I never was a compressor fan and did not want to spend much for a compressor, because I did not thought I would need one. After 7 months it has become a steady member on my pedalboard.

The second mod was a SD1 808 mod. This has become my main overdrive pedal. I bought another SD1 to modify. So now I have a big (8 pedals) and a small pedalboard (3/4 pedals). Both with a SD1 808.

The third mod is a BD2 H20mod. Great in combination with the sd1

The fourth mod is a OD3 supra mod. Also in combination with the sd1 on the other board.

The fifth is the DS1 rect mod. I have owned the keeley ultra. with the 3 way switch the difference is minimal. I sometimes use it.

The sixth is the MT2 mod. I really do not like the boss version. But this mod makes the pedal usable for some metal sounds, but also blues can be done with this pedal. The tri gain mod is great, but I like the standard mod the most.

The last mod I made is the CE2. This is really Montes best mod. Much headroom and a clearer sound. And the speed is double the standard speed.

I also bought a Rat mod. At the moment I own a keeley rat. But I do not use it a lot because distortion is not really my style. Overdrive suits me the best. But I want to sell the keeley and am looking for a RAT II to modify.

Every monte allums mod is an improvement. My all time favorites are the SD1 808 mod and the CE2 mod. Second best: OD3 ultra and BD2.

• Members

Hi eric0307nl,

Thanks for the in depth review. I can't wait to get these mods, but I'm torn between the standard MT-2 mod and the Tri-Gain. I'd expect to get the more usable tones from the Tri-Gain mod because it has the added switch...Hmmm!

Archived