Lets talk about synth sequencers.

MaNdU

• Members

OK. I use to sequence in sonar for about 5 years, i'm starting to get boring while sequencing infront of a computer and also falling a sleep:bor: doing it when caming from work. I have found that sequencing or doing drum and synth patterns directly in to my Motif is more inspiring or less boring somehow.:cool:

Wich Synth sequencer you think is more flowing and easy to work with in modern synths nodays (korgs, rolands, Kurzweils, fusion or yahamas)?

• Members

Roland's, but that's what I started on and know how to navigate best. The right sequencer is just as much a personal preference thing as picking a synth. You've got to test a few a see which one you like.

BTW, the Triton sequencer is pretty easy too with the help of the touch screen.

I find Yamaha sequencers to be convoluted.

Just go out and navigate a few man. :thu:

• Members

Roland's, but that's what I started on and know how to navigate best.

I started with Yamaha sequencers and still like Roland best! That's not to say that I didn't like the Yamaha workflow. The tools I needed were there.

The Triton sequencers are okay, but they lack per measure(s) Velocity and Gate PERCENTAGE (as opposed to absolute) adjustment. If I want to bring out my piano in a mix, I can't just have it play 10% harder, via a single Velocity command.

Don't know about the new Yammies, but the Roland Fantom screen scrolls and it's pretty easy to see what is where. Phrase tracks allow for 32 channel operation (16 Internal, 16 External). Along with the interface and dedicated +/- 3 Octave buttons, the Fantom had a nice work flow. I say "had," because I have since sold my Fantom and XP50 and am using the Korg sequencer now. I'm okay with any of those three.

• Members

I have been using the Triton Sequencer happily for 7 years. Now my one year old Extreme is giving me problems. I sequenced a drum pattern using external drums. When I stopped recording and played it back the timing was off. I used RPPR to assign the pattern to a key and it sounded ok again. Later certain paramaters locked up like midi channel per track and sound source per track (ext/int/both). I have had that happen in combi mode too at a jam session. I have heard of others having the problem too. I would stay away from Triton Extreme for sequencing.

• Members

I have been using the Triton Sequencer happily for 7 years. Now my one year old Extreme is giving me problems. I sequenced a drum pattern using external drums. When I stopped recording and played it back the timing was off. I used RPPR to assign the pattern to a key and it sounded ok again. Later certain paramaters locked up like midi channel per track and sound source per track (ext/int/both). I have had that happen in combi mode too at a jam session. I have heard of others having the problem too. I would stay away from Triton Extreme for sequencing.

Be sure to grab the latest OS.

And just in case you didn't know......

www.korgforums.com

:)

• Members

How about the Kurzweils for sequencing? Anyone ever use one?

Just starting to get into mine... and I'm a little 'afraid' as its so easy to sequence on my computer.

From what I played around with, it seemed pretty fluid.

Anyone have experience in this area with the K-series workstations?

Was strongly considering getting a RS7000 but I think I have enough and should just make the most out of it.

• Members

A few. The best-known one is the Quasimidi Polymorph, which had an analogue-style sequencer in the digital age, and there was nothing else like it at the time, afaik. Since then, there's the Radikal Spectralis {which is like the Polymorph, taken to its logical, boutique conclusion} and E-Mu's command stations, which are still probably the most powerful standalone MIDI sequencers I've ever used.

There are quite a few analogue-style MIDI step sequencers, now. The aforementioned P3, the Signal Arts MAPS, Manikin Schrittmacher, Infektion Zeit, Genoqs Octopus, MIDIBox Seq....

Archived