I built myself a Rangemaster clone tonight...

ZachOmega

• Members

I bought all of the parts and drilled the box myself. Not a kit or anything.

I used a Radioshack protoboard for the board. They have a generic pattern on the bottom and with some careful planning, you can make just about anything work on these boards.

I finished setting up my drill press not too long ago (a few days ago) so I was able to drill the box pretty accurately.

For a transistor, I had some 2sb175's laying around. They had leakage currents under 100uA and gains from about 60-80. I picked one in the 75-80 range.

The only circuit modification was adding two 2.2meg pulldown resistors to prevent popping.

It took me about 3 hours total to get the thing wired up and in the box.

Unfortunately, I don't get to give it a proper audio testing until tomorrow. I didn't want to wake anybody. I did plug it in real quick and everything appeared to be working properly. I just didn't get to gun the amp.

100_2190.JPG

-Zach Omega

• Members

Protoboard is good for the beginner. Wish I knew that before spending $40 on circuit boards I can't get working :rolleyes:

Drill press huh? Wish I had access to one. I'm stuck using a hand drill so it's next to impossible to get a symmetical line with the switch and pot like you've done. I masking tape the enclosure, measure it all up, drill pilot holes but it's still slightly off. :(

• Members

I plan on building the "Brian May" Treble Booster as well. That is the one with the NPN Silicon circuit. Uses some BC182L's.

Definitely a great beginner circuit.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by Ray20

mine worked first try too

I felt proud until I realised how hard it is to {censored} up the circuit
:p

I like my silicon one better tho

• Members

Protoboards are good all around for convenience. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the proper equipment to etch boards. That'd be considerably more time consuming, but probably worth it in the end.

I ended up at a total cost of under 20$.

I actually scored the drill press for 10$ at a live auction. The bench for it was another 30$. I bought it from harbor freight and then went to home depot and picked up a piece of 3/4" oak plywood for the top instead of that mdf top harbor freight supplied. I didn't trust it to hold a 200 pound drill press.

You have good metal working bits? I use a 1/8" pilot for everything. Then I use a unibit to do the rest. Takes all of 2 minutes to drill the box.

I'm probably going to set up a jig to do more boxes so I can get them out even faster.

Now I'm currently working on my second project for the night...Bread Pudding! :D

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Protoboard is good for the beginner. Wish I knew that before spending $40 on circuit boards I can't get working
:rolleyes:

Drill press huh? Wish I had access to one. I'm stuck using a hand drill so it's next to impossible to get a symmetical line with the switch and pot like you've done. I masking tape the enclosure, measure it all up, drill pilot holes but it's still slightly off.
:(

• Members

I agree. Has a nice crunchy sound when cranked up above 5...and gets pretty distorted much above that.

Overall, it is actually pretty quiet. It has some hiss at the more extreme settings, but nothing I can't live with.

I already did a Fuzz Face...plus I have a Dunlop Fuzz Face (which sounds nothing like the one I built).

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by CapnMarvel

For such a simple pedal, what it does is pretty complex and interesting. Did you get that nice semi-fuzz bite when you cranked it? I love that shiznit...

Next up, you ought to do a Fuzz Face.

Archived