Moog Freqbox specs posted - Unholy Union of Guitar, Analog Synth to follow

girevik

• Members

Sadly, there's no Pitch-to-CV conversion, only Envelope Follower-to-CV.

There is a VCO-to-CV (+- 2.5V) output jack, as well as VCO audio output.

Perhaps you or someone else can correct my understanding of the FreqBox:

- It's not really an audio processor. The audio output is either the input audio (which is not actually processed itself), the VCO audio, or a mix of the two.

- The VCO can be set to be hard-synced to the audio input, hence the pitch of the VCO following the pitch of the audio. But hard-sync is one of three options that are apparently mutually exclusive:

a. VCO hard sync to audio

b. VCO FM'd by audio

c. VCO amplitude controlled by audio (Envelope Follower)

You can do a, b, or c but no combination of even just 2 of the three?

- Based on the above, in hard-sync mode, the VCO is probably always on. Audio only controls its pitch - no envelope control, no FM. So in hard-sync mode, I can control VCO pitch with my guitar, but must rely on other means to control its amplitude .

Apparently, the old Roland GR-300 analog guitar synth had its VCOs hard-sync to audio input from the hex pickup, but the VCOs scramble to track the pitch when the amplitude envelope first opens, hence the GR300's distinctive sound. Whereas the FreqBox must be using an easier implementation, because the VCO's amplitude envelope, in hard-sync mode, is not controlled by the audio input.

Still, even with these limitations, I have no doubt someone like Richard Pinhas or Joe Walsh (yes, the Eagles guitarist - he's listed as a modular synth user at the MOTM website) could find useful ways to incorporate the FreqBox into their modular analog systems.

• Members

There is a VCO-to-CV (+- 2.5V) output jack, as well as VCO audio output.

Yeah but that oscillator is static...you can internally mod it's pitch from an outside source's loudness envelope or FM it from an outside source but AFIK there is no real Pitch-to-CV coming in to the box, only Envelope Follower-to-CV.

I would love to be proved wrong but Pitch-CV is expensive.

That said, it looks like a great addition to the Moogerfooger line!

• Members

I tried one of these at NAMM...

I wan't blown away. It doesn't track the guitar very well...as in the vco frequency tends to jump around a lot even when playing clearly with a lot of care towards the moogerfooger.

I also asked Mike Adams how well it would track 1 v/oct cv inputs and he said it would track 3 or 4 octaves. I thought that sucked. Any VCO bought from a modular company today tracks at 6-8 octaves or more. Not that great as an expander for a little fatty or voyager in my opinion.

• Members

I'd love to see what you guys would do with a FreqBox, and how you would have it play with your other analog synth modules. :thu:

My GAS money is going to the Roland VG-99 first, but my attention is being repeatedly drawn back to this FreqBox and the Pigtronix Echolution.

• Members

But at greater total cost than one Moog FreqBox, if Moog's marketing is to be believed. They claim you need a bunch of modules to do what one FreqBox can do.

3 modules at the most.

vco, envelope detector and an amp to get the audio signal high enough.

• Members

Tracking oscillators are for the weak!

I would build a preamp/amp/attenuator into an envelope detector.

Thanks fellas! You've both given me useful hints on what to look for in the audio-in patches that I've found and downloaded for my Nord Micromodular. Most of them are typical guitar effects type patches but some implement FM synthesis and thus may be useful for "prototyping" how a Freqbox-like device with audio input might interact with other modules.

Archived