dirty cheap nano Dr. Q

spaceshot

• Members

i got a hold of an EH nano Dr. Q for dirty cheap cause it sounded like crap. I figured I could use the enclosure at worst and crossed my fingers for some trim pots.

Enclosure would have been worthless, they cheaped out with the jacks and power supply, both of which are not really secured to the enclosure and are board mounted. the enclosure has u shaped channels cut into the sides so the pc board mounted jacks can just drop in. there is play in both the jacks and the 9v jack is just kind of floating in a hole cut in the enclosure.

Luckily, yes there was a trim pot. dialed out the hiss. tried it in every position and found with it just past where the hiss cuts out, the dr. Q produced a nice semi-sensitive wah funk sound. This was the only sound I liked and it is quite good, a sound I would have dialed in on one of my other envelope filters. Its nice to just have that sound with one cheap pedal, sort of like half assed wah. can almost sound convincing and you got to do no legwork, footwork, funny faces.

I was thinking of putting together a cheap easily replaceable pedal board for gigs but if someone jumped on the front of your board, I'm sure that 9volt jack would snap the pc board. I wonder how long batteries will last?

• Members

I'm growing more and more leary of EHX pedals after reading thread upon thread of problems. Heck, my $40 DOD Flashback Fuzz is built like a brick and sounds godly stacked with a $15 Dano Fab Metal, which itself is built pretty sturdily.

• Members

yes a few weeks ago when on my DMM honeymoon i was raving about EH and getting a whole EH board someday. Well apparently the general concensus is that the DMM is the best pedal they make, and the rest is hit or miss. Muffs are great, but everything else is either a love or hate thing. I like my Small Clone alot, and i love my Electric Mistress. And my fuzz is a big muff clone (mayo). And the DMM is the best delay i've ever heard. But thats the extent of my EH experience.

i was very interested in the new nano line, until i read so many different 'bad experiences' with them.

Archived