Recommend Some Good Synth Music

Tuba Four

• Members

Help me spend some iTunes gift card money!!!! I am looking for some good synth-led music, especially in the Jazz/Fusion genre!!!

Try Joe Zawinul and the Zawinul Syndicate - an album called "World Tour."

I don't know if you're familiar with Zawinul, but he was one of the founders of Weather Report back in the 70's. I've never tired of his music.

In the jazz/fusion genre, I am also a huge admirer of John McLaughlin, although he's a guitarist.

In a more traditional vein, I love an album by Dave Grusin called "Migration."

Also: If you haven't heard Jordan Rudess's keyboard work with Dream Theater, you should give that a listen. Modern prog rock/metal, and Rudess just kills it.

In terms of non-jazz synth music, try Amethystium ("Enchantment"), The Chemical Brothers ("Hold Tight London"), Crystal Method, Delerium, Jean Michel Jarre, Juno Reactor, Orbital ("One Perfect Sunrise"), and William Orbit ("Water From a Vine Leaf").

Have fun!

• Members

Thanks for these recommendations. I know Zawinul's work from the weather report days. I didn't follow his work with the Syndicate. I'll definitely check it out. I am also familiar with DT, except that I am just not that interested in their style of music.

McLaughlin is one of my faves as well. His new CD is very good and has lots of keys work on it.

I'll check your list of non jazz synth music. I haven't really given many other genres a listen in quite a long time.

aL

• Members

Random picks from iTunes:

Benny Goodman - "Stompin' at the Savoy"

Count Basie - "Swingin' the Blues"

Dave Grusin - "Theme From Mulholland Falls"

Delerium - "Serenity"

Disturbed - "The Game"

Gentle Giant - "Just the Same"

Joe Cocker - "Into the Mystic"

Hoobastank - "Disappear"

Jewel - "Serve the Ego"

Nickelback - "Animals"

Soundgarden - "Spoonman"

Sum 41 - "Still Waiting"

System of a Down - "Question!"

Yes - "Sound Chaser"

• Members

It's likely a huge stretch, BUT if you like jazz/fusion and synths you should check out Squarepusher. If you've heard "some" and didn't like it, try listening to some more samples on i tunes. Every album of his is pretty different.

The album "Hard Normal Daddy" is imo is his jazziest. He's a brilliant bass player/composer. I would recommend starting there.

It's not for everyone, but i'd put him on the forefront of jazz influenced electronic music, even though a lot of people wouldn't consider what he does jazz at all. But wasn't that one of the points of jazz? Reinventing itself. A lot of people don't consider fusion jazz (ie my grandpa) so see what you think.

"Tundra 4" On the "Venus no. 17" EP is usually regarded as one of his best tracks, though it's far from jazz if you can stretch your imagination you'll realize how much influence he gets from jazz, and incorporates in his playing style.

Check out some of his live videos on you tube.

• Members

a fusion of jazz/ethno and ambient, Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays "As Falls Wichita Falls.." one of their best works ever. i adore this recording and listen to it often to this day since i first heard it live in 1983. lot of snyths, organs, piano, synclavier, autoharp etc..

for more fusion jazzy try some early80s stuff by spyrogyra and Steps Ahead (this guys love a good fat minimoog bass).

in general i feel the late70s and early 80s had all kind fusion at its peak.

and then get "Telecommunications" and "Cascades" classic albums by guys who invented Brasilian funk/jazz, AZYMUTH. i saw them twice. hammond, stirng machines, vocoder, fretless, drum kit. all three are fkin virtuosos yet never letting this get in the way of good music, melody etc.. they even play to this day.

• Members

Thanks for these recommendations. I know Zawinul's work from the weather report days. I didn't follow his work with the Syndicate. I'll definitely check it out. I am also familiar with DT, except that I am just not that interested in their style of music.

McLaughlin is one of my faves as well. His new CD is very good and has lots of keys work on it.

I'll check your list of non jazz synth music. I haven't really given many other genres a listen in quite a long time.

aL

McLaughlins lineup from 'Heart of Things ' is my favorite

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=10817

The live version is fantastic

Now what about the Tuba Polka music or are you going to weasel out ?

• Members

Passport: Homunculus and Cross-Collateral, both from their Cross Collateral album.

Bruto,

Good one. Its rare that people even bring their stuff up on synth forums, and Klaus Doldinger played tons on Mini D on those releases.

Got some of them on vinyl. "Juju Man" from the 76 "Infinity Machine" release is another.

Regards,

Lawrence

• Members

Excellent recommendations.... Thanks! I have lots of listening to do!!!!

How did Tribal Tech escape my radar?

Passport was one of my faves back in the day!!! Brings back memories. I am still trying to find tuba polka music on iTunes but, no cigar!!

aL

• Members

Air - "Moon Safari" or "Talkie Walkie"

Flaming Lips - "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" or "At War With The Mystics"

Depeche Mode - "Violator" or "Playing The Angel"

New Order - anything

Hot Chip

Bjork

Stereolab

Portishead

Propellerheads

Radiohead

(LOL anything with "head" in it)

Massive Attack

Lake Trout - "Another One Lost" and "Alone At Last"

Sasha and Digweed, Zero 7, Kruder and Dorfmeister,Tosca.... too many more to name.

• Members

If you're not intimately familiar with the Gary Numan Trilogy of "Replicas," "Pleasure Principal" and "Telekon," you are not familiar with perhaps the three most important, cohesive and enjoyably dark series of songs in electronic music history.

"Down in the Park," "Me! I Disconnect From You," "Are Friends Electric?" "Cars," "Complex," "Airlane," "Films," etc. "Aircrash Bureau" "Remind Me to Smile" "Remember, I was Vapor" "I Die, You Die," "We Are Glass."

Oh, jazz/fusion. Um, there used to be a band around here called Gamalon or something. You might want to check them out for something off the beaten path.

Archived