Yay, Blofeld ~= Stromberg

urbanscallywag

• Members

Blofeld is nearly identical to Stromberg! matrixsynth highlighted the differences between the 2 based on Waldorf's site. They are the obvious ones you could come up with...no analog expansion, no tubes expansion.

Same despised interface as the uQ it seems, but I never minded matrix editing.

Yay! :thu:

Anyone want a Yellow Q rack? ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love matrix editing when implemented well (as I thought it was with the uQ.) I didn't even mind the Pulse with it's 2 or 3 digit display. Obviously it's nicer to have lots of knobs, but a decent matrix is better than menus or any other non-knobby method.

Once I find out how the wavetable implementation is (hopefully extensive, better if you can upload your own via the USB port,) I will buy this the second it's available.

• Members

What I'm saying is that it seems pretty clear to me that the Blofeld is an updated piece of gear. I said that when the PDF of the brochure was leaked - it's a stripped down Stromberg. It says NEXT GENERATION Waldorf VA technology - that has meant all along it's new/updated code. For some reason people have been trying to pin it down as a reboxed MicroQ. I don't understand why.

• Members

The Blofeld should be similar to the Stromberg in the same way that the micro is similar to the Q.

I think how 'new' the Blofeld and Stromberg are will depend a lot on what they do with the wavetables.

On the Waldorf site they say the specs are preliminary and could change.

My comment was only about the lower priced Blofeld and Micro - from the specs, it seems they have a lot of similarities (but almost certainly not identical).

From the Waldorf site:

Micro-Q:

Features

up to 25 voices

16 part multi timbral

300 single programs

100 multi programs

20 drummaps

7 endless dials

16 buttons for editing

2 x 20 character display

6 analog outputs (3 stereo outs)

2 analog inputs (1 stereo in)

MIDI In/Out/Thru

Phoenix Edition color scheme

Per Voice:

up to 5 Oscillators per voice

Pulse with Pulse Width Modulation

Sawtooth

Triangle

Sine

2 wavetables with 128 waves each and suboscillator per alt-wave

Oscillator FM

Noise generator

Ring Modulator

Mixer with Balance, each signal source (oscillator, noise, ringmod, external audio material) can be balanced individually between filter 1 and filter 2

2 Filters (serial and parallel routing switchable), different types, all including FM and distortion

Low Pass (12dB/24dB)

Band Pass (12dB/24dB)

High Pass (12dB/24dB)

Notch (12dB/24dB)

Comb Filter (positive/negative feedback)

Modulation Matrix with 16 slots, freely routable

Pre-routed Modulation destinations, sources selectable

modulation update frequency in audio range to allow the oscillators to be used as modulation sources

4 Modifiers

Arpeggiator with user pattern, including accents, timing information, swing, glide, chords and more

3 LFOs up to audio range

4 envelopes, enhanced ADSR configuration with loop and one shot function, bipolar

different trigger modes for each envelope, poly, mono, dual, unisono, manual trigger etc.

2 individual high-quality effects per single program, up to 5 effects in total in Multimode

Effect Types:

Reverb

2 x Surround Delay

Chorus

Flanger

Phaser

Distortion

Delay

5 FX

Vocoder with 25 bands

and lots lots more...

Blofeld:

General Features

(subject to change)

up to 50 voices

16 part multi timbral

1000 sounds

100 multi programs

7 endless dials

5 buttons

graphical display

stereo output

headphone output

MIDI In

USB 2.0

external power supply

Per Voice

3 main oscillators

pulse with pulse width modulation

sawtooth

triangle

sine

wavetables

frequency modulation between the oscillators

oscillator synchronization

noise generator

ring modulator

2 independent multi mode filters

low pass 24 dB / 12 dB

band pass 24 dB / 12 dB

high pass 24 dB / 12 dB

notch 24 dB / 12 dB

PPG filter 24 dB

comb filter positive / negative feedback

cascade filter 24 dB / 18 dB / 12 dB / 6 dB

modulation matrix with 16 slots, freely programmable

various pre-routed modulation destinations with selectable sources

modulation speed far into audio range

4 modifiers with various algorithms

3 fast LFOs (> 2500 Hz)

4 envelopes

different trigger modes per envelope

poly, mono, dual or unisono mode with selectable voice count

HMT for realtime just-intonation

Per Part

arpeggiator with user pattern, freely programmable including accent, position, length, glide, chords, random notes etc.

high-quality effects

chorus

flanger

phaser

distortion

ring modulation

stereo delay

tap delay

vocoder

reverb

One thing I think is different is that the Blofeld will have an arpeggiator per part.

Overall, there's a lot of similarities, but like Sizzlemeister says, if its got new coding/algorithms and {censored}, even tho the specs are alike, it'll probably have improved sound quality.

:blah:

• Members

....Blofeld is nearly identical to Stromberg! ....

but ya - that's the main point. There's a huge price difference and not all that huge of a difference in specs.

You get what's probably going to be a real good keyboard and a much nicer interface, but the internals will probably be pretty similar.

• Members

Its cool that they look so similar. I remember seeing the NAMM video interview of the US Waldorf rep, who mentioned that Stromberg would have some physical modelling also.

In the end, none of this matters, until the machine is shipping, as its all subject to change. Besides, we don't even know what it sounds like! (although I'm sure either will sound great)

• Members
but ya - that's the main point. There's a huge price difference and not all that huge of a difference in specs.

You get what's probably going to be a real good keyboard and a much nicer interface, but the internals will probably be pretty similar.

Sign me up. I believed the hype it was a repackaged uQ. Whoops!

• Members

This makes good business sense, does it not? Lure in potential buyers with a knobby flagship synth, show them the extravagant price. Then "Have you seen his evil younger brother?" 95% similar sound engine. 1/8 of the price.

Those Blofelds will fly out the door won't they?

• Members

Sign me up. I believed the hype it was a repackaged uQ. Whoops!

well, there is a re-packaged Micro-Q - it's called The Phoenix.

it's basically just new graphics. so, you've got the original micro-q for sale right now, as well as advance orders for the phoenix micro-q, and the Blofeld (which is different), will be available in the future.

you can check out the differences here:

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Manufacturer&keyword=21

oops - I could have sworn that around NAMM time, they had original leftover micro-q's on their site. I guess they sold out.

Archived