Maxon SD-9 vs. Boss DS-1?

Picassochild

• Members

I'd recommend a Pro Co Rat. I don't own one, but I do own the SD-9 and the tone control on that is terrible. Both pedals (DS-1 and SD-9) have problems with lack of volume (due to part tolerances, not necessarily design), so if you do go with the DS-1 or SD-9 make sure you play it first.

• Members

The volume issues (as well as some of the anoying compression) can be taken out of the DS-1 by simply removing D-4 and D-5 (clipping diods) or replacing them by LEDs.

The DS-1 is a cheap pedal (got a couple for $20 new) and, if you are into electronics, it can be a lot of fun to fiddle with.

• Members

I'd recommend a Pro Co Rat. I don't own one, but I do own the SD-9 and the tone control on that is terrible. Both pedals (DS-1 and SD-9) have problems with lack of volume (due to part tolerances, not necessarily design), so if you do go with the DS-1 or SD-9 make sure you play it first.

I have a couple RATs...just wanted to check and bought old Maxon SD-01 from Japan...will see how good or bad this SD...at least Analog Mike can make it better.

Archived