What else does my board need?

Noise...

• Members

Ok, I've got a few pedals now, and I'm wondering what else is considered "essential."

My board is;

MXR Phase 90>Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer>Washburn Distortion>Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz>Ibanez DE7 Delay

What else should I be looking at getting to make it a well rounded board?

• Members

Compare my small rig to yours, I have only a single dirt pedal while I have 2 flangers, 2 delays and 2 envelope filters. For my taste this is a well rounded board while your 3 dirt pedals wouldn't be of any use to me . . . different strokes for different folks only the player can decide when their board is round ;)

• Members

But it depends on what you like to play, if a flanger, chorus, tremolo, ring mod, pitch shifter, and wah are of no use to you adding them will not round out your board.

I'll take all of the above.

Do you have some recommendations for a tremolo, flanger, and chorus?

Would a Digitech Whammy be good for pitch shifting, or is there something better out there?

And, I'm not exactly sure where to even start with ring mods.

I'm thinking for a wah I'll go with one of the updated Vox V847's once they hit the shelves.

• Members

What types of tones are you looking to add?

I'm definitly needing some more modulation. I have a chorus and flanger on my amp, but there's such a huge volume boost with them that it makes them almost unusable. The flanger on the amp is also not very pronounced. I'm looking for a flanger that when it goes on, you KNOW it's a flanger. I want everything from jet sounds to wobbly craziness.

Also, I played a Danelectro Tremolo the other day and really liked the effect. I probably would have bought it, but new out of the box the pedal already had a big crack in the housing. I'd really prefer something with a metal casing for all of the pedals. I don't have anything against Danelectro, but I'm looking for stuff I can have forever and not have to worry about.

• Members

I'll take all of the above.

Do you have some recommendations for a tremolo, flanger, and chorus?

Would a Digitech Whammy be good for pitch shifting, or is there something better out there?

And, I'm not exactly sure where to even start with ring mods.

I'm thinking for a wah I'll go with one of the updated Vox V847's once they hit the shelves.

Well the Whammy is a bit largish, for about the same money a Boss PS-3 can be had on ebay and it seems to rate as highly if not higher around here. I have a PS-3 and like it alot but I cannot compare it to the Whammy.

Flanging options are as open as you can get, if money is not a deciding factor many will recommend the Foxrox Paradox TZF or A/DA Flanger which is now out of production but can be found here and there on ebay.

For my money I really like the DOD FX-747 and Vesta Fire/Vestax SFL, also popular flangers on the cheaper side on the forums which I cannot recommend fully as I have not played them are the Ibanez SFL and FLL

For a versatile digital flanger the Line 6 Liquaflange has a lot of options but the digital nature of it turns off some.

I don't know much as far as chorus goes as I have not used much chorus

As far as Tremolo goes I really like my Cusack Tap-a-Whirl, some recommended the Empress Tremolo but hype on that pedal seems to have faded. Once again Line 6 Tap Tremolo is pretty good for a decent price if you just want to see if it's an effect you dig.

• Members

I'm not put off by digital at all if it still sounds good and doesn't suck tone.

I'd like to keep the pedals fairly inexpensive (under $100 each) but if there's a really, really good pedal that's a bit more, I'd be willing to spend more.

I'll go check out the ones you recommended.

• Members

Eh...Ebay's out for the moment. Maybe down the road, but not right now.

I'd say what I need absolutely most right now would be more modulation. I basically just have the phase 90.

Can you guys recommend a few cheap (but good sounding and metal housing) modulation pedals? Choruses, Vibratos, Flangers, etc. By cheap I'm talking $75 or less.

• Members

Just stalk ebay... Also, it seems to me there are quite a few variations on each of the effects you list. For Flangers I currently own: Deluxe Electric Mistress, Ibanez DFL, Boss HF-2, Original MXR, and they are all different but good in their own way. For me, the MXR defines the jet plane whoosh, but the DEM and DFL are much more useful to me in the context of a song.

You might also want to check out the cheap Danelectro pedals. Head to guitar center or order from musicians friend to see if you like them. If not, return them.

• Members

I could use a tuner, but I need effects more. I can make due tuning with my regular tuner or by ear.

PFDarkside, I tried a few Dano's, but the plastic housing bothers me. Yes, I know. Some people have had them for years with no problems, etc, etc. For my own peace of mind, I'd prefer to get pedals with sturdy metal housings. Nothing against Danelectro, it's just my own preference.

For a wah, as I said above, I'm waiting for the updated Vox V847 to come out (the one that was announced at NAMM).

For right now, I really just need some more modulation. Specifically a nice sounding chorus and a nice flanger. Again, I'm looking for pedals $75 or less with metal housings.

• Members

If you really do want a huge selection of modulations, I'm gonna put another vote in for the Magicstomp. Lots of good flanges/choruses, and lots of good reverbs and delays. It has a few good gain/fuzz sounds too, from what I've heard.

If you want pitch shifter, I'd suggest the Digitech EX-7. It's got the Whammy in it, a long with two wahs (so you don't have to worry about that), and what's called the Space Station, which is a string swell/synth system that kicks everybody in the neighborhood's but.

• Members

^I've already got the Phase 90 for a phaser right now. I may add a second one later (and if I do, it will be a small stone).

But the Small Clone would probably fit the bill perfectly. :thu:

Now just a decent flanger and the Vox Wah and my board will be complete. At least for a little while.

How about a volume pedal? Can you really do much with them besides fade in/out?

• Members

But it depends on what you like to play, if a flanger, chorus, tremolo, ring mod, pitch shifter, and wah are of no use to you adding them will not round out your board.

Heed the words of the man with Rorsharch's face. Not only does he display good choice in reading material (I am assuming he's read The Watchmen), he also has great rig sense. What you would like to use determines your board's needs.

c

Archived