anyone know about using delay on live vocals?

rivenbeef

• Members

i just went to see a show last night and i heard an effect again that i've been wondering about for a while. when the singer would sustain a note, the engineer would put delay on it so that the note would trail off for a few seconds even after the singer had removed the mic from his mouth. there were no distinct repeats, just a smooth trail that slowly faded. it was as though the singer was still singing the note and trailing it off himself. very smooth. it sounded fantastic, and i'm wondering if any of you know what kind of delay settings could recreate this. thanks guys.

• Members

Sounds more like a long reverb than a strict delay to me, but hopefully someone with more live sound experience can help you there. I don't know much at all about vocal effects, although I have seen some singers use a digital delay pedal with their mic.

• Members

I've never tried it with stage pedals for tweaking, but when I ran sound at a local all ages club we had a delay rack unit that I used occassionally with bands that asked. It works best at a minimal setting, blended with reverb. Slap back settings can get you really cool rockabilly type stuff, too.

• Members

i just went to see a show last night and i heard an effect again that i've been wondering about for a while. when the singer would sustain a note, the engineer would put delay on it so that the note would trail off for a few seconds even after the singer had removed the mic from his mouth. there were no distinct repeats, just a smooth trail that slowly faded. it was as though the singer was still singing the note and trailing it off himself. very smooth. it sounded fantastic, and i'm wondering if any of you know what kind of delay settings could recreate this. thanks guys.

The delay setting that works best would be relatively short delay (200-300 ms or so) but with long feedback. What makes it seamless is that you need to fade it in. In other words, the singer should already be sustaining the note, then fade the effect send up (I use a volume pedal, but it could be a fader or knob if you use a sound guy). It is important that you fade up the send, not the return!

I use this all the time and it works quite well.

Archived