Digital VS Analog

fatcarlos3

• Members

hey there! I'm a newbie into the FXs world, I use to play punk rock for the last 4 years but now i'm into more complex stuff. so the thing is that the distortion in the amp used to be good enough for me till now that I'm using and discovering this bunch of new things. I own a digitech rp200 and pretty much I have a lot of fxs there, the main question is: how good does that sound compared to stomp boxes?? is it really worth it to spend a lot in single fxs? I know for sure cause I've tested it, that I can get a lot of more clean distorsions and tones from my metal zone MT2 than the RP200 (sounds really mean if you compare). Is it a huge diference with FXs too?

:D

• Members

honestly, I have never really found a distortion pedal that I was completely happy with (I'll prolly catch alot of {censored} for this comment). To me I think most of the pedals out there would prolly be comparable to the digitech, though I haven't tried them all. My suggestion would be to possibly change amps. What type of amp are you using by the way? Have you ever tried a tube amp? When I switched from Solid State to a tube amp it made the world of difference to my tone.

Wait a minute I just re-read your post....I guess your asking more about effects in general.

digitech makes pretty good stuff. However, I think when they start making multi-effect units they typically give you the basics of the effects and skimp on making it the best it can be. Typically, if you compare each individual effect to the single pedal by digitech, I would expect the single pedal to be better. It really is the only way they can justify getting you to spend $100 on a single unit.

Basically, I think if you plan on using alot of effects and really want them to sound great then it is better to go with single effects or a more expensive multi effects system. However, if your happy with the sounds you got then why look elsewhere.

• Members

in my experience with effects, i've actually found that the higher end multi-effects units' effects (modulations, filters, delays, reverbs, etc.) rival those of individual units, but the amp modeling and distortions are a bit lacking.

for what it's worth, in your position, i would get a nice amp that covers all your clean/overdrive/distortion needs and a nice multi-effects unit that'll cover everything else. It may seem expensive, but in comparison to trying out lots of stomp-boxes and switching out multi-effects based on their amp and distortion modeling, you'll save yourself a lot of money.

Archived