Who is using USB interface?

TIKILOCKEDOUT

• Members

Making a choice right now is doing my head in ... I was just about to go grab the Tascam tomorrow but read a horror review of compatibility issues of the drivers with Windows ... hmmm and then the tech support is apparently out to lunch - then again who's isn't?

Then there is the 16bit vs 24bit and zero vs virtual no latency issue ...

Then there's the Firewire vs USB issue ...

Then it's a question of the reliability of which brand and model ... M-Audio vs Tascam vs Presonus etc

Ok ... here's the models I was considering ... Tascam US122L - M-Audio Mobilepre - M-Audio Fast Track - and perhaps the Presonus Inspire which is firewire but would break the bank a bit to be honest.

Help me settle on something with that warm and fuzzy feeling that my choice will be a safe one ... and the drivers and software will do me right!

I need to know what you guys who are using this stuff think and what are your views on the models listed.

:idea:

• Members

U had an maudio fast track pro usb box. It's good for single tracking stuff but you'll run into latency issues if you're trying to run more than 8 or 9 tracks at once while recording.

The presonus fireboxes are awesome though.

Personally though, if you're not using a laptop, I just got an E-Mu 1212m along with a studio projects VTB1 tube preamp and it's just a night and day difference.

I still use the maudio box though at our band's practices to just do a 1 mic "live" recording into our singer's laptop.

• Members

Yeah this is all Desktop for me right now ... so. The Presonus FIREbox would be great but I'm not looking at that ... it was the Inspire which is the lesser beast for now. I just need something in the meantime before I go for something tasty in firewire later ... which is going to be the best though of those listed above?

• Members

I personally use a firewire interface (Mackie Onyx 400f) it is a bit pricer than some of the options mentioned but it has done me proud. It too suffered complaints of dodgy drivers but this far I have had no problems. I think you really should consider going the firewire route, USB is fast but it is not designed for streaming data in the same way meaning it can have peaks and troughs in performance leading to possible latency issues. As far as the bit rate and sampling rate issues I think it is currently a moot point, my inteface handles up to 192/24 but I only record at 48/16 because the current medium CD is at this rate (well close to it). If you record at a really higher rate and then master it down for CD you will change the sound of the recording more the further the new rate is from the old one, so record at a rate appropriate to your media and unless you are going for DVD Audio (which I'll gamble and say you aren't) a lower rate is fine. That said obviously future proofing your purchase by having the options would be great, but don't lose too much sleep over it. I can't comment on any of your current selections because I haven't used them but as far as I've heard if you can stretch to a Presonus Firepod, you'll be laughing.

edit: Forget my point about the firepod I just read your reply. The E-mu stuff is great my mate has the 1820m and it kciks ass although he did have some driver issues.

• Members

Yeah the 1212m has so much more crispness and definition.. My guess is that one of the contributing factors before was that the mic pre's in the fast track were just junk.

The 1212m needs a mic preamp though and the VTB1 is a killer preamp for guys on a budget. Total spent on the pre and teh 1212 was right at $200. ZZsounds has the vtb1 for $99 and musicians friend has the 1212 for $99.

Zero latency issues and a much clearer and fuller sound.

• Members

Thanks Fastred and thanks Cabras for a great reply there ... this stuff certainly males you think long and hard before you make choices because so much is at stake. Basically as I said for now I have enough budget to get something in the range above just to get going until more cash flows in and I go get something that wipes the floor with it.

I'll certainly look at the EMU 1212 when that happens though ... but for now the best options with the better drivers and interface are the major requirment ... the Mobilepre eh? I was leaning that way ... if I could stretch a bit ... would be hard the Presonus could be VERY good also as it is Firewire.

Any more opinions and thoughts welcome!

• Members

Yeah PC with windows. I had some driver issues at first, but then i reinstalled them and they went away.

That's interesting I heard somebody else did the same thing and the trouble went away ... but it did require re installation of windows.

In any case I am talking about the US122L ... which is update. What was the quality of the Cubase software bundle ... was it any good or junk?

• Members

That's interesting I heard somebody else did the same thing and the trouble went away ... but it did require re installation of windows.

In any case I am talking about the US122L ... which is update. What was the quality of the Cubase software bundle ... was it any good or junk?

It came with some other stuff that I never used, including a really simple multi track recording program. It had some other stuff too. I think something MIDI related.

And no, i didn't have to reinstall windows

• Members

I've not had any driver issues with my 1212. There aren't any official vista drivers yet but there's no reason to be using vista right now anyhow.

The EMU rack software is really cool and extremely powerful but takes a little while to figure out what everythign does. you can even use it to apply any of your vst or dx plugin effects into the windows audio. It comes with some decent recording software and pretty good basic plugins for recording (reverb, delay, chorous, etc)

• Members

I've not had any driver issues with my 1212. There aren't any official vista drivers yet but there's no reason to be using vista right now anyhow.

The EMU rack software is really cool and extremely powerful but takes a little while to figure out what everythign does. you can even use it to apply any of your vst or dx plugin effects into the windows audio. It comes with some decent recording software and pretty good basic plugins for recording (reverb, delay, chorous, etc)

Sounds a great unit mate but beyond my reach right now alas ... I have to make that choice between the Mobpre and Tascam ... hmmm if I can talk them down on the Presonus Inspire this could be better again - firewire as I said.

• Members

Yeah I would avoid Vista like the plague right now.

Good to hear the 1212 works so well. I myself have been on the fence between the Tascam and the 1212, I like the idea of being able to use the USB interface with a laptop if need be...but it seems having a dedicated recording desktop with an internal card would be much more solid overall. The only problem with the 1212 is lack of built in mic preamps, but I have a mixer with that already so its not an issue really.

As for Cubase LE that comes with the Tascam, its just a light version of Cubase, which is an excellent program, and should be fine for just about anything you would need to do. I prefer Sonar myself because that's what I'm used to, but I could just as easily fire up Cubase and be very happy.

• Members

Max,

Yeah I am aware it's Cubase lite ... and I am familiar with it as a prog ... it's the newest Cubase prog but something about a previous review made mention that it was virtually useless anyway. Software won't be a problem for me ... plenty out there and plenty friends will be throwing at me of different types - no worries.

Now, it's just which one ... Tascam OR M-Audio .... initially I was going M-Audio and then someone mentioned the US122L ... I'm up in the air!

• Members

Max,

Yeah I am aware it's Cubase lite ... and I am familiar with it as a prog ... it's the newest Cubase prog but something about a previous review made mention that it was virtually useless anyway. Software won't be a problem for me ... plenty out there and plenty friends will be throwing at me of different types - no worries.

Now, it's just which one ... Tascam OR M-Audio .... initially I was going M-Audio and then someone mentioned the US122L ... I'm up in the air!

Buy both, return the one you don't like??? :D

• Members

Buy both, return the one you don't like???
:D

Ha! ... wish I could ... I must admit the issue of drivers with Tascam makes me shy and yet I've heard nada on that re the M-Audio gear so it might just be the Mobilepre afterall. :confused::idea::cry::freak:

Ahhh the only thing with the Mobpre is that it's 16bit ... vs the Tascam 24bit ... how much should this matter?

• Members

I'm using the Lexicon Omega, which is a USB device. I haven't noticed any latency in the recording, but I've only recorded up to about 20 tracks for a single song. I haven't tried to push the full 48 tracks, but then again I don't need that many.

The only problem with the omega is you will need a decent preamp if you plan on running mics into it. I can record great stuff with a drum machine or my pod xt but you have to increase the volume a bit when running a mic into it.

• Members

Ha! ... wish I could ... I must admit the issue of drivers with Tascam makes me shy and yet I've heard nada on that re the M-Audio gear so it might just be the Mobilepre afterall.
:confused::idea::cry::freak:

Ahhh the only thing with the Mobpre is that it's 16bit ... vs the Tascam 24bit ... how much should this matter?

Are you using a Mac? Browsing through a few google searches it looks like the complaints are about the Mac drivers mostly for the 122L.

• Members

You should be fine then either way. Seems the Tascams are fussy with Macs in particular, but not PCs.

Sheesh ...

I need to go read the data again on these suckers side by side and try and see how they shake out again in terms of advantages. :freak:

You were supposed to help me decide ... :mad:;)

Archived