Hackeysack-- have you heard Chris Whitley's "Reiter In"?

ChitownTerror

• Members

yay

HMCMedic actually had the savvy and gumption to ask Dan Whitley about the fuzz. Apparently Chris really was using mostly the Jacques handbuilt Fuseblower and amp distortion. Don't know what amp though - he had an old Gibson GA-5 he used live a lot, but in the studio he'd go for big guns too. "Narcotic Prayer" was apparently recorded through a Fender Tonemaster.

And yes, the fuzztone on "I Wanna Be Your Dog" slays. Though the track I keep coming back to is "Cut The Cards."

If you like the electric stuff on Reiter In you MUST get your hands on Din Of Ecstasy.

• Members

SO much mojo. So much less known and appreciated than he should have been, though that was partly by choice.

What else of his have you been listening to?

I finally got around to listening to "Din of Ecstacy" which is pretty good. I actually think I like this last album better, but that's not really its fault.

• Members

Definitely check out Living With The Law and Dirt Floor as well. Hm. And Rocket House. And, uh, Weed and Live At Martyrs' are pretty amazing too - one man, one guitar, one take :eek:

All completely different, too. LwtL gets the Lanoismbient/roots-rock treatment, Dirt Floor is just Chris, a barn, a literal stomp box and National or banjo (but it's a mean, mean, nasty banjo). Rocket House adds ambient electronic touches to some really fine songs. Weed is solo-recorded-in-bathroom reworking of earlier stuff.

• Members

Definitely check out Living With The Law and Dirt Floor as well. Hm. And Rocket House. And, uh, Weed and Live At Martyrs' are pretty amazing too - one man, one guitar, one take
:eek:

All completely different, too. LwtL gets the Lanoismbient/roots-rock treatment, Dirt Floor is just Chris, a barn, a literal stomp box and National or banjo (but it's a mean, mean, nasty banjo). Rocket House adds ambient electronic touches to some really fine songs. Weed is solo-recorded-in-bathroom reworking of earlier stuff.

I'm looking for a copy of Living with the Law as we speak.

Is there any good sites on his music/equipment? It's a {censored}ing shame that he wasn't bigger.

• Members

Is there any good sites on his music/equipment? It's a {censored}ing shame that he wasn't bigger.

Partly though he really couldn't handle the career elements that come with being bigger. If he'd stayed on the rock star track Sony had him on after LwtL, he might have died a lot sooner. He would have made it though - girls got absolutely moist around him.

Unfortunately nothing great out there gear-infowise. Though when he plugged in he usually played a Jr :thu:

Jacques' take, fwiw:

www.ts808.com/fuseblower.htm

http://www.geocities.com/stompbox2000/din.htm

CW community (mostly fans not players, but there is a tiny bit of gear discussion, and an even tinier bit of non-Resonator gear discussion):

www.mortalmusic.com/bbs/forums

Best gear thread, last updated in 2005 :( :http://www.mortalmusic.com/bbs/forums/showthread.php?threadid=312

List of tunings by song - amazingly, at least two are in EADGBE - some note which guitar he used as well:

http://www.mortalmusic.com/ChrisTunings.html

• Members

If it doesn't work out, drop me a line and I'll get it took care of SIY-ay stylee. Though buy if you can, his daughter could use the assist.

Thanks for the offer dude, but I think this one has earned a purchase. ;) I mean, I gotta use my library acquisitions connections for SOMETHING.

Archived